Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how old is this bull?

Default how old is this bull?

called in this old warrior, my buddy shot him at 35 yards. He had dozens of scars on his face and a bit non-typical on his right antler (left side of photo) he had been gored in the head and neck by another bull. Big pus pocket inder the skin on his head, maggots in his neck and severe infection (gain-green????) green pus all over in his neck, smell was way less than pleasant. The fronts of the bottom teeth cracked and black cavities on them. Hooves were wavy and chipped up. The photos Ive seen in books showing thharrys 1 095.jpge antler growth of bulls throughout their lives normally indicates they reach their prime around 8 to 10 years old. how old do you think this bull is? harrys 1 094.jpg

6 years old?

I,m going to guess 7-9yr,s old? Big old boy for sure. How big was he?

he came from the mat-su area....right at 60" due to the wear on his teeth, waves in his palm, and non typical tine, the taxidermist is guessing him around 10-12 yrs. Im inclined to agree. The photo isnt very clear on his face, but he looked old...like a old horse does if you know what I mean. If his two long points on the right antler were not turned in he would have been well over 60" I hope my buddy takes a tooth to F&G and has it aged.

If you really want to know the correct age of your moose, F&G knows the name of a company that can count the rings on a tooth the cost was $35. If you give me a tooth I would like to try and see if I can do it.

How does he taste?

the stress from a severe head/neck wound would likely induce prolonged hormone releases that could make him visibly age much more rapidly. If the wound happened 1 year ago, then his blood stream has probably been festering with infection for most of the past year. He probably would have died by next fall.

Based on antlers I would guess at 8 yrs old, give or take a year. Get a tooth aged.

I'm also curious how the meat tastes. I would guess he would be mostly a sausage / chili moose with the sort of infection you describe, but I could certainly be wrong.

I'd have to go with 8 yrs old, would be interesting to have it officially aged out and know for fact. Great old bull for sure either way...

I am going to say 9 years old and one unique looking rack!

Hard to tell age by antlers. Would be interesting to pull a tooth and see what the age is! I am waiting to find out how old the grizz was that I shot this spring. The bio's think it might be one of the oldest aged around here.

I think he will qualify for AARP membership!
    Dandy looking rack 4sure...
    Congrats
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks guys!!! My buddy is going to have a european mount done. I will try to get a tooth. Just for the education purpose to have an idea looking at moose in the future. The wounds he had seemed like they were from this fall, im guessing around 10 days old,..enough to ooz green puss, the one in his neck had maggots they were cleaning everything right around the hole pretty good, but underneath the rest of the skin in about a 18 inch diameter the green was speading and there were numerous pus pockets spread throughout. We left the one side of the neck with the green on it, we trimmed at least 6 inches away from anything that looked green. It seems it didnt get into his blood stream yet. So far his backstrp, and sirloin from the hind quarters have been pretty good, not as good as the 4 1/2 year old moose I got last year. This old bull died very quickly, and we had him opened up very fast, we kept him good and clean, Im sure this helped with him being decent table fare.
    Last edited by AKbowhunter; 10-05-2010 at 19:52. Reason: added a thank you

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Did that moose happen to come of Ft Rich?
    no, ill just say somewhere around the general trapper creek area, give or take 20 miles.

i'd say 9-11... i'd say he's on the backside of prime....his head does look swollen...thats a heck of a bull regardless good job guys...was it taken with a bow?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

He looks too old, I like the tender ones!

I'd like to shoot something like that someday just to say I've done it.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    i'd say 9-11... i'd say he's on the backside of prime....his head does look swollen...thats a heck of a bull regardless good job guys...was it taken with a bow?
    thanks, and no it wasnt taken with a bow,....it should have been though. my buddy shot him at 35 yards....i paced it off! lol

I'd be interested to hear how old he is as well. Regardless, it's a tremendous bull. Congrats to you and your buddy on a successful hunt.

You gotta love the old guys with the scars to show their experience.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

my wild guess is 7 to 8
    I ♥ Big Sheep

He sure looks like a great moose, there has to be a great story to go with the hunt? how long did you stay on the hunt ? did you drive up for a 1 day hunt, get out of the car/truck an he was there [lots of luck] or was you on the hunt for a week in a cold camp an lived on candy Bars ? you think the hole in his neck was from a bullet ? we know you won't tell much about the spot, but tell us a little about the hunt, the hunter in the photo is that you or your partner ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast