Thread: Best time of day for grouse

Default Best time of day for grouse

What time of day would be the best to hunt grouse? i've only killed one around 9:30am.
    hows afternoon hunting? or closer to sunset

I want to jump in here with a similar question. I like to take my dogs for walks up on Ester Dome and sometimes we flush grouse from the gravel road. Just a couple of days ago, I flushed one in the trees by the pond at the Chena Flood Control Project and shot it with a duck load. So what is the story on the grouse? Why am I seeing them in river bottoms and on top of ridges?

Grouse are everywhere. My experience is that early morning is the best time to find them out and about. I have flocks of them frequently wander through my yard around 8am as they pick gravel from the driveway and side of the road. Never see them during the afternoon or evening hours.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hopefully Jim will pipe in here as he has devoted a whole lot of time into chasing these little moose hunter heart attacks around. What I have seen is that they pop up early to go and feed. I have been walking a treed finger ridge that reached out into a swamp shortly after first light and had large groups of birds come out of the swamp and roost way up high. I guarantee that you could have walked through there every day after the sun was up and not seen a single bird. I counted at least 30 as they came in from feeding 1 or 2 at a time.

I have jumped plenty of groups of birds once the snow is on the ground at all times of day. The more ground I cover the better I tend to do. One interesting thing if you are an opportunist and not a dedicated wing shooter is that they tend to stand out at last light. I have spotted quite a few roosting when the forest floor is dark but the sky is still lit up, it makes the shape of the bird really stand out. I actually put a bigger scope on my .22 as a kid just to give me more light gathering at that time. It worked great.

In a perfect world - and grouse and ptarmigan don't live in any such world - the birds will eat twice a day; in the morning, and in the evening, and will gather grit when they please to do so. They like to be warmed by the sun after a long, cold night. On rainy or snowy days they will likely spend most of the day up in a thick spruce tree, or under the spreading and low hanging branches of a big spruce. In winter they will forego a morning meal at times and stay in their snow roost, but they must feed before darkness to get them through a long winter night of frigidly cold temps.

That kind of sounds like you Jim

Charlie

Charlie,

Shouldn't you be doing a Pap smear or something instead of posting on the WWW? :-)