Thread: winter hunting

Default winter hunting

What all is there to hunt in the winter.How do you pass your time between moose and next fishing season?

Keep a close eye on the trapping/predator hunting forum and the small game forum. While there are a handful of big game hunts to be had in the winter, predators and small game will give you consistent time in the field. Calling fox, lynx, and coyotes is a good way to spend some winter days (and nights), as is chasing hares and ptarmigan on skis, snowshoes, or snowmachines.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Oct goat if your up to it

November archery moose

December 40 mile bou

haul road march and April..

spring bear April - June

fish June- July

caribou, august ( sheep if your inclined to incline)

moose sept, then again in Nov if missed in sept.. oh.. thats where we started.. small game fills i the gaps and then there are pissing matches on the forum in between

oh yeah...

there is ALSO one of Brian Ms favorites...

End of Oct... the drawing book is out... (some time in nov)

then the Draw results are out... usally early... (lol always espessally when they are late)

then the draw system is rigged conversations...

then the THE TAGS are out..i got mine early..threads

there is PLENTY to keep us busy
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

dang Vince, I think I remember you posting^^^^ this ^^^^last year also... lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Always Hunting Caribou, even when Im hunting other animals... ya, Caribou.

Never ends.....Though if Im indoors, I like to build stuff, read and write.

Getting wood, Fur hunting and setting a few traps maby, Rabbits, Ptarmigan, ice nets, icehole fishing, travling here and there maby a Muskox, I donno..........It's a living.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Hey Vince...good list..im with you on all of them except you missed one big one...starting november....TRAPPING!
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Winter: Remember the bunnies and ptarmigan
    Jan and following-tying flies, reloading, Palmer Indoor Range
    NRA Lifetime Member

Plenty to hunt in the winter if your willing to. My favorite is predator calling, although not very successful it is alot of fun. Hare hunting is good, ptarmigan, caribou, there are winter moose hunts and I like to head down to Texas to thaw a little and go hog hunting thats alot of fun...it's also a good time to practice your shooting skills, BS on this forum or just hibernate and wait for spring!

this is my first winter here I am not so much concerned with the cold but the amount of daylight I will have I have been reading alot about things I can do I am looking forward to an old hobbie of mine ice fishing. I want to go after ptarmigan and my son is 8 years old so I want to get him on some bunnies and want to spend the majority of my weekends hunting wolves with friends if possible
    thats what I want to do we will see how it pans out and if I see ways I could have done it better then there is always next winter there will be no time to cry about it I will be getting my gear ready for grizz!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

THEN THERE IS THE OTHER WINTER PASTTIME.... the one that leads a large portion of Alaska's children to come forth Aug-Oct...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    THEN THERE IS THE OTHER WINTER PASTTIME.... the one that leads a large portion of Alaska's children to come forth Aug-Oct...
    snip, snip... you gotta pay to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Huh you wait for winter to do that... I like hunting but the other thing is alot funner and not expensive especially when you are shooting blanks or momma has been tied!

Shoooooooooot, winter is when the fun starts. Fox, wolves, wolverine, arctic hares, lynx, ptarm....

Then I'll have my caribou, moose, and musk ox hunts....

Everything is "easier" when you use the snogo and siglin!!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Do winter moose taste worse than summer moose?

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    I have had both and couldn't tell the difference. Butchering them in the snow is great! Sleeping out for a week while moose hunting takes some planning. Can you say COLD!!

I hunt fish in the winter.
    Rabbits are always about in varying amounts (especially for the next year or so).

When I was younger I used to hunt at home like you younger guys ... not so much anymore.

I do miss winter caribou hunts, but don't have the time or money to get away on a road system hunt, so rabbits fill the gap. Well, kinda.

The cow I got this Jan. was some of the best tasting moose ever!

You guys are leaving out deer hunting in the Sound or on Kodiak. Season runs through Dec. 31. Grouse, ptarmigan, hares, predator hunting or trapping, fishing for winter kings, halibut, rockfish, herring or hooligan in the spring... There's always something. And if there just isn't any season open where you want to hunt, winter is perfect for scouting. Nothing like snow to do some serious tracking and figure out the areas animals use for feeding and hiding. While they may not use the same areas as much during the time of year hunting is open, you can get a feel for how they use cover and escape routes when disturbed. You'll find where they like to cross rivers and streams and get around other obstacles. Some areas of high use will surprise you.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I have found there is no difference in the taste of a young or old, bull or cow moose killed in the summer or winter. The only exception is, I was told a pregnant cow in Jan/March has a lot more fat.

If you want the highest quality meat you need to learn the proper way to process the animal from field to table.

In winter it is important to not allow the meat to flash freeze. It will make it tough. Leave hide on the meat to slow the cooling process when it is way below 0.
    Winter hunts for Moose, Caribou, Predators and Small Game abound. I will be doing all of them this winter as I do every winter. It is far better than fall hunts. Access is available to even the most difficult regions, without much effort. You need gas powered equipment to make it very far off the beaten path.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~