Thread: Ruffed Grouse Society

Default Ruffed Grouse Society

Okay, I know there are some RGS supporters out there...time to speak up.

What does the RGS do for us here in Alaska?

Is this just another club that takes our annual dues and puts them towards things that amount to nothing?

What are the benefits of membership?

What are the costs of membership?

What are the obligations of membership?

Do they support other upland species here in Alaska?

How do I get in touch with them?

What else can you tell me about them?

(Most of these questions are rhetorical, but I thought it might be worthwile to put them in here to gain some exposure)

Tyler,

I was a strong supporter of RGS here in the interior for many years and ran the banquets and attended the shows and did whatever I could for RGS. I no longer do any of that. In the last two years RGS in the interior has nearly disappeared, but there is still a strong membership in Anchorage and they put on a great banquet. Membership is either cheap, or expensive. Hard to answer all the other questions on this BBS because of space, time, and...what a person might say. I'd suggest you Google up RGS and you'll find connections to the Anchorage membership.

Didn't they put together the grouse range south of Delta Junction?

Many years ago RGS, through ADF&G and AK DNR, did put in a small ruffed grouse habitat area down along the Alaska Highway. More recently they did the same at Nenana Ridge off the Parks Highway. But there is little actual work still being done in any of these areas.

The Anch RGS makes a ton of money each year, but their projects have been NRA based, and I think they put some money in scholarships and the moose range.

Jim

I know they seem to be mostly out of the ruffed grouse transplant business but I sure do love hunting them! I would love to see some put into the Knik river drainage. I can't see any difference in the habitat along the north side vs the "other" site they put them in the valley. I hunt one of the release areas on a fairly regular basis and they seem to be doing pretty well. I think they have mostly expanded to the limit of the available habitat though they don't seem that prone to moving past some of the surrounding poor habitat to establish new populations. The information I have read from the Bio's seems to confirm this.

I get the feeling that part of the reason for the limited expansion is due to the readily accessible area that they put them in. The North side (south facing) of Knik would not offer much access except for the really hardy foot hunter. Seems like it would be a good area to seed a population that would have a better chance of growing. The area around Baldy also seems like a good spot, though I am less familiar with it.

Well, ruffs have spread rather well from those earlier plantings in the Mat/SU. There are ruffs in downtown Anch, and I've seen them as far north as the Chulitna River Bridge on the Parks Hwy. They have not done well on the Kenai, but I suspect that has a lot to do with the habitually nasty spring weather.

Im a member for what it's worth. I look at the big picture however, just not the Alaska picture. I travel out of state to hunt, and the annual fee is pretty cheap. Just my .02!

FYI, there is already a very healthy population of ruffs on the Knik. I mostly find them on the islands in the spruce patches. My son shot a very nice one last week. **** good eating!!! I have been hunting them for about 7 years now and in some areas, I actually have a hard time finding spruce hens.

Thanks for the info on that Nain. I spend a good bit of time on the south side on a buddies property. I guess I need to spend some more time kicking around on the north.

RGS South Central is a very active conservation organization. They raise a significant amount of money at their annual banquet in Early April. The donate upwards of $10K a year to the moose range project in the valley. (The grouse like the new brush as much as the moose) They have a scholarship program. They give to many of the youth shooting clubs. The list goes on and on. Due to state law a lot of the money raised has to stay in state therefore it does not get dumped back into the national organization.

They originally formed to raise money to trap birds from the Interior and then release them in South Central. The bird releases in the Valley have gone well. The ones on the Kenai not so good.

Yeah I saw one in my driveway the other day. It plummed its tail feathers like a turkey I couldn't bring myself to harvest it.