Thread: Ward Gay's Book...........great read

Default Ward Gay's Book...........great read

I never knew Ward Gay really, met him, but did not know him, I am reading his book: "Hunting & Fishing in the Territory of Alaska". a good read. Hard to grasp what men did back then. Intersting Jack O'Connor and Frank DeFrane gave him his Guide test.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I never knew Ward Gay really, met him, but did not know him, I am reading his book: "Hunting & Fishing in the Territory of Alaska". a good read. Hard to grasp what men did back then. Intersting Jack O'Connor and Frank DeFrane gave him his Guide test.
    Got my own guiding license back in the Territorial days. Holgar Larsen was head of the Territory's fish and feathers in those days. Three tests were taken for the guidng license. Two hunting licenses were required: one for the Tarritory and one for the Feds. Their "wardens" traveled in pairs, usually, and could be found miles and miles from the nearest road, on foot, and carrying pretty much some sourgough and tea bags. Tough bunch, but good guys.

What's this about Jack O'Connor? He was never a resident, was he?

That is a hard book to get hold of. I sure would like to read it.

I'd like to get ahold of a copy also. I'll have to check the Fairbanks Library. My father was a FWS Pilot/Warden during the Territorial days so I like to read up on stories from that period. Wasn't Ward Gay the owner, or one of the owners of Sea Airmotive? One of my best friends lost his life in a DH Caribou of theirs that went down in 79.....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I'd like to get ahold of a copy also. I'll have to check the Fairbanks Library. My father was a FWS Pilot/Warden during the Territorial days so I like to read up on stories from that period. Wasn't Ward Gay the owner, or one of the owners of Sea Airmotive? One of my best friends lost his life in a DH Caribou of theirs that went down in 79.....Louis
    Hi Louis. Yeah, Ward was a partner with his cousin Al in Sea Airmotive, as I remember it. Hope I'm not wrong about that . . . . .