Thread: Horn loss

Default Horn loss

Ok, it's just a day for curious questions for me......what the heck may have happened to that guys ram in the photo section thats missing both distal sections of horn?

It looks to be a massive beast. I'd love to know the base measurement.

Theories? Experience?

Default Fungal

I have seen one something like it, a pretty knowledgable taxidermist told me it was caused by a fungal infection and the horn just falls off at an annuli. Just what I have heard.

I was wondering the same thing when I saw the pics, looks like one interesting ram either way and one heck of a trophy! Talk about some massive looking bases!

I'd love to hear the story as well. A very unique ram, indeed. My wife and I were talking about whether we would take one like that. I love it, as it is so different from any other sheep I've seen. We both agreed that on a walk-in hunt, any legal ram that we can get on is going home with us. On a fly-in hunt (which we hope to do for sheep maybe once every 5 years), he would probably walk as far as she is concerned...but I would have to think long and hard about it.

i have seen a bunch of pictures like these and from what i have been told trapper bob is correct the horns fall off the core from a fungal infection.....kind of like if you had an infection in your toenail or something....thats all sheep horns really are a big toenail on their head...i would bet to say this ram came from either the wrangells or the white mts..leaning more toward the wrangells.....looks like he was fairly old when he lost his horns as well....i bet he's 10+ years old
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"