Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Wolf

Default Blue Wolf

Ok, so mega congrats to Wigo for his super moose hunt with wolf harvest. If you haven't looked yet he took an amazing color wolf. He called it a Blue Wolf. It's really an awesome critter. It's in the current photos up top.

So is it me or is this super unique like a glacial phase black bear?

I've seen Al at the Fairbanks Tannery bring back a blue wolf. They look pretty awesome, especially in person. I think it is just a rare color phase, but probably more common than a glacial phase on a black bear.

I know of a guy who caught and sold a blue wolf who sold the green pelt for a cool $1000. He kind of regrets it, but a grand is a grand.

I don't think blues are as rare in wolves as they are in bears. I usually hear of at least one caught around here each season. I've caught one and my old trapping partner caught 3. These were "true" blue phased wolves. Not black with enough white tips to look blue.

I've been waiting for more info on that thing since the pic popped up. I'd love to see a few more pictures showing off the coloring.

Black Wolf in summer phaze.
    I've seen plenty of pups that color.

Too bad, If it had gotten Prime, it would have been Charcoal Black, no Tips.

Never got a better price on a Black wolf, but a Black Fox can get you 500$ easy.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

That is surely a blue wolf. Have seen one other like that that was shot in a predator control program. That is a beauty! I've seen one alive out winter hunting one time. Had 7 wolves show up to my calling and one was a blue! Pretty incredible seeing one that color with some of them jet black and a couple of grey's also.

That was definatly a beautiful blue wolf. my trapping partner picked one up like that four years ago...except it had a collar on it. even though it was rubbed from the collar the taxidermist he took it to offered him 1200 bucks for it.
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Black Wolf in summer phaze.
    I've seen plenty of pups that color.

Too bad, If it had gotten Prime, it would have been Charcoal Black, no Tips.

Never got a better price on a Black wolf, but a Black Fox can get you 500$ easy.
    Stranger, where do you get $500 for a black fox? I have one or two of them I've caught. I would surely sell them for that!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Stranger, where do you get $500 for a black fox? I have one or two of them I've caught. I would surely sell them for that!
    You want them sold for $500, send them up I'll sell them for that easy.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Okay, I will get them together and mail to you!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

figured a pic of it should be on the thread

Quote Originally Posted by wigo View Post
    25A, Brooks Range PV Float hunt , Moose 57 Sep. 20 and blue wolf Sep. 22

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

No black tips on that fur, thats what makes it "Unusual"~~LOL!!~~. If it had matured another year or two, and the fur was prime, it would have been Charcoal Black. A good way to distingish a Wolf from a Dog is the black tipped fur, dogs aint got 'em, less they are part Wolf.

Ive sold 2 rock solid Black Fox for more than 500$ each. Not Dyed, but natural Black are exceedingly rare and valued by skin sew'rs around here.one in 1990 ,one in '07......dont come across them often at all.
    Thats actually something I should have collected for myself, allright.......

Thanks for the info stranger. I will disagree on the wolf though. I have seen one that guys were after for three seasons before they got him. Looked just like the one in the picture. It was a big old male!

Wigo.....please post another photo if you got it.

Wife and I were watching a gut pile in the Wrangells and had a blue wolf appear 100 yards in front of us. Before I could draw a bead on him he winded us and disappeared down the creekbed.
    They are out there...
    Proud to be an American!

Feel free to disagree, Im not always right.
    He really dosent strike me as that old, but what the heck, I aint there, could be the angle or light or something.........

I've enjoyed watching Wolves raise a few litters where I summer camped in previous years, and thats how I saw it. Saw that color phase as it progressed to Charcoal Black, but prehaps some dont turn.....very much a possibility, I must say.
    Cant say I ever caught one in that time of year,either, as my opinion on doing that is not the same as the guy who shot it, but to each his own. He certainly got one with a very NICE color.

Its awsome to see fur as it matures as well as to ride 'em down.

I did catch a Black tipped on a VERY Red undercoat Wolf this spring, which for me, was unusual~~LOL!!~~I wonder if it spoke Irish....??~~LOL!!~~

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I did catch a Black tipped on a VERY Red undercoat Wolf this spring, which for me, was unusual~~LOL!!~~I wonder if it spoke Irish....??~~LOL!!~~
    We've taken a few "early" greys and I think that they have the red/orange underfur in the fall...before they primed up. Never seen it in any of the prime winter wolves we've taken. Granted, it's just my assumption though...
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Sorry that only photo I have, next one will be when I got it from taxidermist.

Quote Originally Posted by wigo View Post
    Sorry that only photo I have, next one will be when I got it from taxidermist.
    Good enough! Keep us posted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast