Thread: Kasilof Media Release DNR

Default Kasilof Media Release DNR

2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Alaskanmutt, We have a similar thread on the fishing management forum. Glad to see you are posting it too. We need all the voices that recreate down there or are concerned on the enviroment to respond. A Big Thanks!!!!! Glad to see others taking a proactive approach too. PM me if you would. Ken f---Thewhop2000 www.alaskadipnetting.com.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

PM sent........

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Alaskanmutt, We have a similar thread on the fishing management forum. Glad to see you are posting it too. We need all the voices that recreate down there or are concerned on the enviroment to respond. A Big Thanks!!!!! Glad to see others taking a proactive approach too. PM me if you would. Ken f---Thewhop2000 www.alaskadipnetting.com.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Thumbs up comment period is open

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Timely and good post. The comment period just started about a week ago and goes for the next few weeks.

I'm quite impressed that they seem to be listening to the public on this one, and helping to preserve habitat that MUST be preserved, while also maintaining our access to the resource. A win/win.

I'm all for this happening. But, for or agin', you should make your voice be heard; that's how we'll all create the best outcome for our kids.

Dont Forget there is a public meeting tonight Wednesday October 27 from 6:30-8:30 on this issue at the Tustumena Elementary school in Kasilof.
    This will be a good opportunity to speak your mind on this issue.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I would imagine the movement to charge a nominal fee for Kasilof probably has, or will be enacted this year as rumor had it at the end of last season. I hope all realize that this is supposed to be a, KLEAN-UP, DUMPSTER, AND PORT-A-POTTY FEE. Under those circumstances, I don't mind at all paying a nominal fee for the privilege of using the facility. If this fee is going to be in effect this year, does anyone know what it will be as yet

On another note, I always try to take a few minutes before leaving to do a quick walk around the area and pick-up trash some of the people that unfortunately did not have good parenting leave for someone else to clean-up. No one knows what I and others do unless they ask and we don't do it for a pat on the fanny anyway. However, I am again thinking of an idea I wrote in this forum last year and that is to get one of those inexpensive Safety Orange Vests and print on it CLEAN-UP VOLUNTEER in bold letters. Confronting the slobs doesn't do any good as slobs don't care anyway and we can't shoot, or pound them into the ground, but maybe we can nonconfrontationally shame them, or at least give the idea to others to perhaps lend a hand and do some voluntary clean-up as well.

In an ideal situation, possibly a kiosk like they have for loaner life jackets on the river would be beneficial. Vests, trash bags, and maybe pooper scoopers, or sticks with nails in the ends for stabbing trash could be provided sometime down the line. Maybe not the sticks with nails as some phool might stab themselves in the eye, or use them for roasting marshmallows, get sick, and then sue us. I know that there are very inexpensive plastic Safety Vests available for pennies and the ones that look like they were made of burlap bags arenít more than a few bucks. Sure, some will disappear, but maybe the beneficial effects will be worth it. Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained. At the least, I would hope that I see a lot of other folks with their own Safety Orange vests taking a few minutes to do some extra clean-up and maybe silently shame the slobs or subtly encourage others to do the same.

Hopefully, someone that is going to the meeting tonight that agrees with me will bring this idea up for discussion.

Good ideas. I hope, though, that the slobs don't see Clean-up Volunteers as more excuse to be slobby.

How about Clean-up Police?

~tr

Default One idea for a Volunteetr Clean-Up Vest -- PIG PATROL

[IMG]file:///A:/MVC-011S.JPG[/IMG]
    Just an idea from a rather artistically challenged person that knows confronting the slobs does no good other than to promote hostility. After I finish dip netting, I will, as I usually do, I take a walk around with a trash bag and pick up abandoned trash that some of the slobs have left. Maybe some will think twice about leaving garbage for others to clean-up, maybe some will think it a good idea to pick-up a little left by the slobs as I do, maybe some will want to get one of these inexpensive Safety Vests and do some artwork of their own and join in. I know that people have told me this is a waste of time, that the slobs will always be slobs and think it their due that either government, or private volunteers should clean-up after them, but obviously what we are doing now isnít working. Yes, the slobs will mostly still be slobs, but at least with a community effort perhaps things will look, and smell a little better through out efforts and maybe we just might garner our own volunteer army of people that are sick and tired of the filth.

I also at one time suggested something like a kiosk such as they have for flotation devices on the rivers, but for trash bags and maybe some inexpensive Safety Vests like this or even cheaper plastic ones. Sure, some arenít going to be returned, but I think it might be worth some sort of a try rather than just sitting around and b****ing about it. I also proposed the idea of specifically marked plastic trash bags that when you turn them into the landfill, or some designated area, they might give you a free pass for so many bags of trash picked up at that spot. Might keep the kids busy too.

At any rate, what mine says is CLEAN - UP VOLUNTEER on the back, and below this is a rough rendition of a circle with a diagonal band running across it and a large PIG "squatting" in the center. I am sure someone else can come up with better artwork, or a better logo, but it is a start.

Well, looks like the photo. came through, but you have to click on it to get it to enlarge to where you can see it very well.

AKhusky4
    uhldwm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default gr8 idea!

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    I also proposed the idea of specifically marked plastic trash bags that when you turn them into the landfill, or some designated area, they might give you a free pass for so many bags of trash picked up at that spot. Might keep the kids busy too.
    I love this idea (and +1). Is there any downside? I can't see it. Upside? Lots! Is anyone in gov'mt listening here?

Great thinkin' and contribution!

Default Pig Patrol

Thanks Family man,

I kind of like the idea myself, but I guess that's natural as I thought of it. I am sure there are lots of folks with ideas as good, and better, but somehow we arenít getting the word out as there have only been nine responses to the Thread and 967 views since 10-4-2010, maybe people just aren't checking the site lately and read this after last season. Maybe a catchier title is needed, or posting on another thread, but I sure would like to hear other peoples views and ideas on how to help the situation. I will only be down there for a very few days and I sure can't do much, but if a lot of us will pitch in and try to get others to do the same, we can make a difference.

Any ideas how we can get more exposure on this topic and more ideas on doing something positive Or is this a situation of .

Come on folks, let's hear from you. As I used to tell the kids, "The only stupid idea, or question, is the that is never asked, or voiced."