Thread: In need of help from bison hunters!!!

Default In need of help from bison hunters!!!

Hello all you fortunate bison hunters out there.

My name is Randy and I am college student at UAA. A few of my friends and I are currently working on a project that is investigating the history of bison in Alaska, and I am in search of samples from wild bison taken from either the Delta or Farewell herds. I am particularly interested in obtaining upper and lower jaw bones with teeth and possibly a small sample (approx. 2 square inches) of hide with hair attached. Unfortunately, neither I or any of my hunting buddies drew a bison tag this year and so I am asking you, the hunting community, for help. If you, or anyone else you know, might be interested in assisting with this project please reply to this thread and I can provide more detailed info on what we're doing and why we're doing it.

Thanks alot and Happy Hunting!

Default head?

Quote Originally Posted by arcticarcher View Post
    I am particularly interested in obtaining upper and lower jaw bones with teeth and possibly a small sample (approx. 2 square inches) of hide with hair attached.
    AA, good luck with your project, I wish you well. I'm wondering what response you'll get on here from your request, and I'll stay tuned in here, to find that out.

I find it very likely that someone can find you a dab of hide with hair, unless you want the extraordinary parts like the fro from the head, or the long leggings hairs from the legs.

I do wonder about the jaw bones though; my thought is that you'll find that a hard order to fill. I have a mounted buffalo here, and in his little diorama he is in a desert setting, and his front legs (with the beautiful leggings, hooves and all) are actually stepping over a bleached skull. HIS own skull, in fact, since a taxidermied bison requires that you remove its skull.

I just know I wouldn't part with mine for nuthin'.

Again, good luck.

Charterboat Operator

i would be checking with the local taxidermy shops as another start, i know of 1 that was dropped off at Knights just last week.
    and i do believe it was taken in head whole.

Wink glad to help

I'll be out hunting this weekend, and until we fill the tag. Glad to help with small swatch of hide/hair ~ assuming this is all legal
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I'm also doing some research. But for mine I'm looking for samples of back strap and tenderloin. :-)
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Everything is totally legal and I greatly appreciate your offer to donate a small swatch of hide. Thanks and have a great hunt!

Thanks for the heads-up on checking with the taxidermists. I'll definitely look into it.