Thread: new Machines

Talking new Machines

I want to buy a couple of new machines this year(ok as soon as I can)I think that I am leaning to a crossover around a 600 not sure if the second one will be a match so my wife and I can both hit some powder as well as trails. also thinking of the second one being a tour or utility so we can break trail. Can a crossover have a tow hitch put on itany ideas on the best all around sled we want to do some powder and some trail, not to interested in anything extreme. Been leaning to Polaris or SkiDoo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    B

A 600 is a very reliable engine from any manufacturer, the bonus is fuel economy. The crossover sleds will easily tow a sled, and the manufacturers sell them. Just by my own likings, it sounds like your on the same path I might take. Good luck!

I would go SkiDoo then Arctic Cat.... unless I get a smokin' deal on a Polaris, I will never own another one.

I like this one or the 550F. http://www.akmining.com/snow/2011_sk...lt_600_ACE.htm

I have read on a couple of other threads that there have been issues with the 550f engine. does anyone have an opinion about the rotax 600 H.O. or the rotax 600 ace. thank you Kenairmk for the info. Dirtofak any thing you want to share about Polaris. I figure comments here may help others to.

I have had many a polaris,still do, and never had trouble with any of them. All of the manufacturers have had a problem sled or 2 over the years, but they all make good sleds. It really comes down to what you like, what fits you best, or you know a particular dealer will treat you right.
    On the other hand, those Ski-doo Etec's are nice sleds.

Dirtofak, sorry you had trouble with yours, but that unfortunately happens to all of us sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmanak View Post
    I want to buy a couple of new machines this year(ok as soon as I can)I think that I am leaning to a crossover around a 600 not sure if the second one will be a match so my wife and I can both hit some powder as well as trails. also thinking of the second one being a tour or utility so we can break trail. Can a crossover have a tow hitch put on itany ideas on the best all around sled we want to do some powder and some trail, not to interested in anything extreme. Been leaning to Polaris or SkiDoo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    B
    I have a 2006 Ski-doo Renegade 600 sdi, I have a tow hitch on it and it pulls just fine, I can ride two-up and pull a tub. It rips too when I have no load and am playing. Not as good in the powder as the Summits though but It will stay afloat, just not very fast in the pow.

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    I have had many a polaris,still do, and never had trouble with any of them. All of the manufacturers have had a problem sled or 2 over the years, but they all make good sleds. It really comes down to what you like, what fits you best, or you know a particular dealer will treat you right.
    On the other hand, those Ski-doo Etec's are nice sleds.

Dirtofak, sorry you had trouble with yours, but that unfortunately happens to all of us sooner or later.
    I have not have any luck with Polaris Dealers..... mostly ATVs.... EVER. Recalls - Was not notified so ended up losing a 3 day weekend and having to get towed out, parts costs and availability, etc... I still have to go to ER or Wasilla for SkiDoo parts.

FYI polaris atv's suck... Sleds are way better. haha
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Sooner or Later you end-up discovering the the Ski-Doo "SUV" or "SWT" will solve 98% of your snow machine needs, assuming you are not 17 years old and haul your testicles around in a wheel-barrow. (hehehehehehehehe, sometimes I crack myself up)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    FYI polaris atv's suck... Sleds are way better. haha

not sure how often i have to remind folks of this...

P ull
    O ff
    L ake
    A nd
    R epair
    I n
    S pring
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Everyone that sees my ranger I mean my wife ranger in action and where it goes they want one.

not sure how often i have to remind folks of this...
    Keep reminding me. Bottom line, the most reliable sleds I have owned from any manufacturer have been my kids' Indy Lites and Polaris 500's. Now, I wouldn't call my old XLT "reliable" but it did finally die at over 6000 miles. I never did buy a Polaris from a dealer or under waranty, so I have no experience there.

Bottom line... I have been towed out by every major brand, and I have towed out every major brand.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Im not going to jump on the Brand bashing wagon but I will speak to the BRP 550F problems. Yes there were a few engines that burned down at the very beginning of the season of the 2010 550Fs. From what I could gather it was mostly a few isolated cases. I would suspect that if the sleds were broken in properly there wouldn't have been a problem. I thought long and hard about it before pulling the trigger on a 2011 Tundra LT 550F, but I bought the second year engine warranty and haven't looked back. All the burn downs happened within the break in periods that I could sniff out (2 that I know of from dootalk.com). On the other hand a friend of mine who is one serious trapper bought 2 last year and him and his kid put over 3k miles on each of their 550s in one season and had zero problems. I would also suspect that this is the last year of the 2 stroke fan engines so if you want one I wouldn't wait. In 2012 new EPA regulations all but outlaw the simple engines. On the downside the 550F is a gas guzzling mofo. 10 miles per gallon is no joke. The Etec is a sweet power plant, I believe that or a 600 ACE will be my next sled.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

I have almost 5,000 miles on my 03 RMK 700. Other than a top end at 3,400 miles and regular maintenance it has never let me down. But then again, the 700 Liberty is thee best motor Poo ever made.

I second kenairmk's advice--brand is irrelevant. Shop for a machine that fits your needs and style and for service-after-the-sale
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

No i love polaris sleds, but the atv's are a waaay differiant story there haha
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Personally I have several sleds. I have a 2008 Scandic Tundra 550F and I love this machine.
    2 up seating cause I mostly do icefishing and trail riding. Plenty of power for what I do. 154x16x1.5" track rides good in powder but I have not tested this in real deep stuff or mountain riding.
    I just bought ( still waiting for it to arrive) a Expedition sport with the 600ACE motor. Price on this machine was $9957 out the door.The ace motor is @ $1600 option over the 550F motor.
    The ace is a 4 stroke motor that gets 29mpg so says the manufacturer and is 60hp. I will definetly be testing this out and it is not supposed to require any major maintenance in its lifetime.
    My 550F gets @ 11mpg last I checked.
    Both are 2up with hitches and cargo racks but on the Expedition you can remove the back seat for more storage and 1up riding.They both run the same size track.
    The ACE motor is 22# heavier but I don't think I will notice too much.
    I wont get into the brand wars either but growing up in MN and spending over 2 years building and repairing snowmachine trails in the heart of snowmachine country you see what I ride.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"