Thread: AR-15 style varmint gun

Default AR-15 style varmint gun

I have been thinking about building a new AR-15 style varmint gun. I just can't decide on what caliber I want. it is a toss up between a 223/5.56 (because I can get ammo for cheap) or a 6 PPC ( I have read this cailber is really accurate). Any one have any experence with the 6 PPC and varmint hunting. I looked at a 204, but I perfer a heavier bullet. My main hunting will be is for wolfs, coyotes, fox, and lynx. I'm looking for a fur friendly round and my 22-250 can do a lot of damage if the animal is to close. Thanks any info would be great

Everyone should have a .223/5.56 in their arsenal. Ammo is readily available and reasonable cheap, it is plenty for any of the listed species out to a long ways. The 223 is a great round for teaching with more boom than a .22LR but almost 0 recoil. I would love to have a 6ppc but not before I had a .223 in the safe and not unless I rolled my own.

I agree with LuJon 100% get the 5.56 first then on your second build a 6 PPC. You said you had a 22-250 but were worried about damage at close range. Not to deter you from a black rifle but what bullets are you using? Their are several exellant bullets for the 22-250 that are solid and will punch a nice little hole through the hide. Hollow points are a different story!!!

I'd get the standard 223 first and then go the PPC route down the road. The availability of ammo for the 223 is typically excellent and if you reload you can really open up the options more. You can load up some 62grain FMJ ammo and not tear up fur too awful bad with some slower velocities. I punched two tiny holes into a coyote last year with some 62gr FMJ and wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything from wolf to fox. I thought about going with a PPC upper, but decided I wanted a dedicated bolt action for the PPC and ordered a custom setup, I hopefully should have some fur damage results here in a month or so when the temps drop and fur primes up.

yeah go with the .223 in a 1:9 it will shoot loads all the way from 40gr all the way to 72gr just fine. And do little fur damage.

I dont see any fur damage there

bsj425,
    Did you hit that one on the head with the AR? I don't see any holes in that guy. Do you see any of that front iron sight with your scope setup? I have one my AR's setup almost identical to that and I pick up a slight haze on higher magnification. I can't tell how high your scope mount is though, so you might totally be over it. I've thought about cutting the iron off, but have left it for now.

Certainly the cheapest way is to just cut down the A-frame but it isn't to crazy expensive to pick up a new flat gas block. If you get the pictinny version you can put a flip up sight on it for pretty reasonable with a little e-shopping. My preference is 16" light contour barreled flat top AR's with the pictinny gas block and a 6 pos stock. They are hard to beat for a trail/truck gun.

Lujon,
    Good points, I've considered the options before, but can't bring myself to cut or dump any more money into the AR when I think it's going to be playing second fiddle to the 6PPC here this winter. Here's my lightweight winter AR.
    I'm like you in that the 16" light AR setup is the perfect trail/truck gun. The 18" bull barreled AR got to be a shoulder bruiser on nasty snowmachine trails. The 5lb PPC will ride nicely on the shoulders about anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White AR.jpg  

You should try the Speer 52gr HP in the 22-250. My load is about 3760fps. It suprisingly fur friendly. Very few exits, they blow up inside. It works from very close to 350, that's furthest I've shot one. It shoots bug holes out of my 788. Something else to consider. BRD (Black Rifle Disease), it is very real. I bought a RRA 18" Varmint last year, then I got a Gonga on a 50 Beowulf and I'm ordering a WOA upper in 20 Practical next week, oh yhea, then I need a 6.5 Grendel. Pretty soon, everytime you see a sexy AR, something will twitch, followed by gutteral groans. It can have an impact on relationships/marriages. So be careful, it can be worse than crack...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    bsj425,
    Did you hit that one on the head with the AR? I don't see any holes in that guy. Do you see any of that front iron sight with your scope setup? I have one my AR's setup almost identical to that and I pick up a slight haze on higher magnification. I can't tell how high your scope mount is though, so you might totally be over it. I've thought about cutting the iron off, but have left it for now.
    No head shots here I shot it right in the heart and he did a death spin and went down in about 10 seconds. there is a tiny in hole and a tiny out hole that you obviously cannot see i got lucky and didnt hit a single bone right between the ribs through the heart and out the other side. And no I dont see any of the sight on any magnification and it sits right in front of the scope. I have since built a new 16'' bull barrel TACK DRIVER that shoots about 1/2 MOA. Ill put some pics up in a minute.

I also got rid of the ridicilous riser and scope rings and got a burris PEPR 1 piece mount that is rock solid and weighs about 1/2 of my old mount setup

Just a thought but maybe you should consider doing the build with a 5.56 upper and add an additional upper in 6ppc. Later if you want to you can get an additional lower just for the 6ppc.