Thread: Duracoat Order

Question Duracoat Order

I'm in Anchorage and looking at placing an order for Duracoat from Laurers, since I can't find it locally. Anyone interested in getting in on the order and splitting the extra DG fees? If you are, shoot me a PM. I am planning on placing the order Mid Oct.

Thanks, Tom

Tom,
    DuraCoat is a great coating. We specialize in it at our shop. If you don't have access to an abrasive blaster with 120 grit aluminum oxide, don't waste your money and time with it. Proper degreasing and abrasive blasting is ESSENTIAL in using DuraCoat on ANY surface. Glass beads don't work, as they tend to polish rather than rough up the surface. You need the "tooth" provided by the 120 grit AO. The upside to DuraCoat is that anyone can do it. The down side is that there are a lot of people who did it wrong and have slandered the product for not working like they wanted it to. My advice is to find a professional shop and have it coated properly.

I've used Duracoat without blasting before and its worked great.

I do blast now that I have the tools to do so, but per the directions from Lauer, you don't NEED to blast...

Blasting is best but it will work on alot of surfaces without blasting such as Parkerizing, sanded ALUM, self-etching primer, Lauer's steel prep and so on but you MUST degrease completely....no acceptions!!! Also, heat parts to 120 degrees with a heat gun before you coat and let it cure at least a week before you fool with it and 30 days before you get rough with it.