Thread: Colt Kodiak

Default Colt Kodiak

I have a question for the experts.

I have been carrying a colt Kodiak 44 as my hiking gun for years now. Recently a friend took a look and said that this gun is too valuable to be banging around in the woods with and recommended that I put it away and get something better suited for this activity.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
    Matt

I'm no expert but I'll chime it. The Kodiak is an Anaconda that came out of the Colt custom shop. I think they only made 500 of them. I almost bought one to pack around a few years ago but I wanted to move to a 45 Colt. I say pack it and shoot it. It's what it was made for. Then again, I don't have any "safe queen" guns. My "new to me" hunting handgun is a Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter 45 Colt. They only made 279 of them. I'll pack it and shoot it. My .02.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Do a search for "Colt Kodiak 44 Magnum" on the Internet.

It appears that GunsAmerica, listed one for $1700.00, that was in "as new" condition. And it's no longer listed. Maybe it sold, but I dunno the price.

Will it double in price in the next 20 years?????

I think that lotsa people hunt with rifles costing more than that.

I understand, that it's very well suited for the "activity", so I'd carry it like you're doin, myself.

I'm not a collector, and appreciate a gun for what it's intended for.

I'll be interesting to know what others think.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Approximately 2000 made in 1993 through the custom shop. Blue book @ 100% is $1250.....

Just look at the price of some Casulls folks carry in the bush and you will see what you are doing is fine. The gun was built to hunt and shoot. No one tells their PH in Africa that they should but up their 1920's H&H double rifle just because its worth 30grand for a beater.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for the input, I'm not a collector, guns are tools for me. Just thought I would get a second opinion. I'll keep packing the Kodiak. Love the colt

I really hate this "collector value" stuff. In the end it boils down to a lot of guys with money speculating on their hoarded safe queens.

I strongly believe that good guns should be carried and used by the common man, and the hoarders can go speculate on art prints. Or beanie babies. Or cabbage patch dolls.

It does our sport no good to have all the "best" stuff hidden away in safes somewhere at prices the common guy can't afford. Wierd, I know. But if the guys with all the bucks actually do run politics and government regardless of their political party, it's just one more way for them to take our guns away from us.

Take that Kodiak out in the hills. Shoot the heck out of it. Scuff it up real good. And if the collectors whine, spit on their shoes.

Shoot it! Enjoy it while you can, they are a lot more fun to shoot than look at.

One of my all-time favorite .44 Magnums is the Colt Kodiak. River guided and mountain climbed all over Alaska w/ my Kodiak for many a year, plus it accounted for several Caribou and Blacktail Deer. Mine wears a Burris mount and scope toted in the suitable Bianchi Hush system w/ flap. It has weathered everything Alaska can dish out - never an issue!

It's not my go-to big game revolver - not for some time... I'd say my only reason for changin' it up was Ruger coming out w/ .454 SRH. The .454 takes on the river duties nowadays.

Accuracy is excellent with the Colt Kodiak. Reliability has been very good... exception would be making sure the 'Extractor-Rod' does not loosen up or begin to back out. Porting is effective, muzzle crown well-protected, full under-lugging all makes for shoot-ability. Sights are quite good - just need to watch the spitting out from Magna-ports that temporarily discolor the orange front sight inlay. The Pachmeyer grip is not so great... keep it, but the Hogue is way better with the hotter/heavier loadings.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I really hate this "collector value" stuff. In the end it boils down to a lot of guys with money speculating on their hoarded safe queens.

I strongly believe that good guns should be carried and used by the common man, and the hoarders can go speculate on art prints. Or beanie babies. Or cabbage patch dolls.

It does our sport no good to have all the "best" stuff hidden away in safes somewhere at prices the common guy can't afford. Wierd, I know. But if the guys with all the bucks actually do run politics and government regardless of their political party, it's just one more way for them to take our guns away from us.

Take that Kodiak out in the hills. Shoot the heck out of it. Scuff it up real good. And if the collectors whine, spit on their shoes.
    +1 Brownbear, couldn't agree more about "speculators". I think that is one way we have gone astray in this country IMHO. Shoot that gun Matt!