Thread: Chugach state park

Default Chugach state park

Hiyas, I was curious if anyone here has any camp time in this park . I was looking to visit Alaska, probably looks like around mid sept in 2011 but that is still up in air.

Can anyone recommend a small family run hotel outside Anchorage ?

Also what would be the best way to get to and from this park, since I would be hiking and camping there a few nights ? I mean should I like rent a car or use some other means . Thanks

Renting a car would be a reasonable way to get around. You can access Chugach State Park from many different trailheads in Eagle River, Peter's Creek, Eklutna, and Knik (all north of Anchorage), from Anchorage itself, or from Girdwood and Portage (south of Anchorage). There are lots and lots of hiking trails covering everything from low forested areas to the high alpine tundra. A rental car would be great, as it'll allow you to see a lot of different areas of the park and explore beyond the local area as well.

So it would be ok to just lock up the car and leave it for a few days, say at like the nature center that I keep hearing about or Eagle river ?

Yep, you should be fine. There are no guarantees, but I've never had my vehicle broken into at a trailhead. It happens, but not often, especially if you don't leave anything valuable in view.

Thanks Brian, ok so check this out , now is there usually a lot of wood laying around for campfires in this area ? are there like certain trees that are like forbidden to break a branch off, I know it sounds silly but just trying to learn all I can before the trip ?

Rumbarr,

You may want to check out this website, it will cover a lot of what you can and can't do: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/

This is the best map of the park, well worth $7: http://www.rei.com/search?query=chugach+park+map

This book will cover most of the established hikes and other information: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=51

Have fun! Chugach State Park is a really awesome place.

Corn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    Thanks Brian, ok so check this out , now is there usually a lot of wood laying around for campfires in this area ? are there like certain trees that are like forbidden to break a branch off, I know it sounds silly but just trying to learn all I can before the trip ?
    No, there isn't much wood at any of the campsites I've been to in Chugach. However, if you car camp you can always find some for sale at local gas stations and super markets. Only dead standing and down trees are allowed to be cut in Chugach State Park I believe.

Have fun, it's a great park. Check out the Crow Pass Trail, Eagle River Nature Center, and many more!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel E Fishin Sea View Post
    No, there isn't much wood at any of the campsites I've been to in Chugach. However, if you car camp you can always find some for sale at local gas stations and super markets. Only dead standing and down trees are allowed to be cut in Chugach State Park I believe.

Have fun, it's a great park. Check out the Crow Pass Trail, Eagle River Nature Center, and many more!
    Actually I wasn't going to camp around the camp grounds, I was gonna go several miles in away from trails and campgrounds . The nature center is on my list to hike through and crows pass, Ive been reading alot on this area and seems like I should I have a good time . I think all that will be closed when I go, late Sept maybe first week of October . Hotels are just to expensive prior to then at least the several I looked at . So hopefully I can find a few dead trees or a good amount of wood on the ground for 2 or 3 nights out there .

Bring a very good sleeping bag and a top quality tent for the hikes you are planning. The reason the hotels get cheaper at that time is because it is the kickoff of winter. Depending on the year you could need snowshoes to finish crows pass the first week of Oct. Not a big deal to run into snow on the way up, a whole different story to wake up at 1am to wind driven sleet pounding your tent into a soggy pancake then turning into 3' of snow. Of course it could be mid 60's and bluebird the whole trip.