Thread: 2 -3 Oct Wasila report

Default 2 -3 Oct Wasila report

photo2.jpg First the award goes out to the knuckleheads at Duck Lake Saturday morning for shooting 20 minuets early and continued on and off till correct shooting time. Can't tell time?

JD 2010 003.jpg
    Sat morning about 42 slight breeze saw one flock of ducks over the inlet. We finished with 16 but they were all singles, doubles and a group of 5 came in and we dropped all 5 with 2 guys that was awesome. Mallards, Widgeons, Pintail, Goldeneye, Blue bill and a Teal a mix bag. Went out on Sunday no wind for the first hour then bam got hit hard with serious winds we finished with 5 Gadwall, Mallard, Pintail saw one big flock of Geese out in the inlet 2 flocks of ducks way out there. Duck Lake was real quiet. Birds where are you?

Looks like you found them to me!!

Default Knuckleheads..lol

That was not anyone on DL shooting early...it was the guys that ran up the river... I was on DL when the shooting started...with a few other parties....not sure where you were at..but was coming from the River. Wife still calls me that though....but only during Duck Season

So folks are hunting right on the river towards the landing side? We are real close to Duck Lake so it sounded like them.

Where is duck lake anyway? Not real familiar with that area.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Where is duck lake anyway? Not real familiar with that area.
    Ever see that show Cheers? It's kinda like that but with duck hunters and mud and no beer (hopefully). Pretty social place.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Ever see that show Cheers? It's kinda like that but with duck hunters and mud and no beer (hopefully). Pretty social place.
    Oh theres beer! But after shooting time. As for the knuckleheads, they were on duck lake but way up the knik side. And by my watch it was 10 minutes (my watch is dead on). Not that that make it any better

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Oh theres beer! But after shooting time. As for the knuckleheads, they were on duck lake but way up the knik side. And by my watch it was 10 minutes (my watch is dead on). Not that that make it any better
    Yep, there were a couple of kids on the east side that kicked of 10 min early. I was shocked as the veterns on that side don't start early. I even got a call from a buddy that was more west of me asking who was shooting early.

If those early shooters are reading this, there is no excuse, no bird with the fine, just wait until the designated minute, please.

Everyone should carry a GPS. The GPS will tell you the exact minute of sunrise at your location. Subtract 30 minutes and you know exactly when it is legal.

The nice part about a GPS is that the clock is precise and the time is set by government satellites. No excuses that "my watch must have been a few minutes fast".

I look forward to the countdown and always hope that the first duck doesn't drop in early.

I was irked when the shooting started early. My partner and I could have bagged at least four easy ducks between the time the shooting started and legal time. We waited until it was legal, but by then the ducks had been chased out of the area by the early shooting.

I am with you Jake. We all know it has been a tough year for birds, but that is no excuse to start early. I carry my cell phone with me so I know I have an accurate clock. Heck, I have internet access from my phone and checked it for the exact shooting time. It does none of us any good to have early shooters out there.

Hows the river level been these days....getting dicey yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Hows the river level been these days....getting dicey yet?
    Very low, lots of stumps. Big tides this weekend will move some of it around and make it even more interesting. Lots of guys getting stuck on the way down.