Thread: Need New Snowmobile Advice

Default Need New Snowmobile Advice

Okay I want it all, a sled that will run deep powder, hard pack/ice with out heating up and pull a good load. Yes I know that I can not get all of this in one sled. So what would be the best all around sled. I have 2 Polaris Dragons and love them, run great, good deep powder machines and good ride. I live on the Kenai Peninsula and have trouble with heat on the hard pack snow down here. I decided to sell the 2 Polaris's and get something that would be close to my above wants. Any help/info would be appreciated. Thanks Dan
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Are you working the sled, or just riding it? I would think the fan cooled Skandic would be an option. I run ice scratchers on my RMK with no problems at all. This year I will put Hyperfax on my sled, which will help too.(2.4 x 155 track on my sled). I ride the same trails you do, and never have trouble. I hope you find the answer.

I am way to beeeg to be playing on any of the lil ole fan sleds. I used one of the last generation AC mountain sleds as a do it all rig. I ended up installing ice scratchers on the rails and on the skis. They worked great and honestly with that fine cloud of ice spray I bet I ran cooler on hard pack or river ice than on softer trails where the scratchers weren't needed.

Hey Blue Thunder, do yourself a favor and buy some scratchers. I ride RMKs because they really can do it all. My overheating problem was gone with scratchers.

I have scratchers and they do me no good. I have the ones that are mounted on the track rails and dig in next to the track. I have extra vents in the hood also. Not really working the sled other than a long camping trip once a winter. Anyone know if the 4 stroke run cooler than the 2 stroke?

I never had any overheating issues when I had Nytros. No scratchers necessary. Well, Nytros tend to eat hyfax so that may be a good reason for scratchers. I bought additional idlers instead. Sold the sleds before I installed them. My eTec SkiDoos have never had heating or hyfax problems and they've seen conditions that had me watching. My RMK did heat up in hard conditions but I expected that with a 2" paddle track. The ProX never did it with a 1 1/4" studded track. Maybe you should just add studs.

Best all-around sled including hauling? SkiDoo Expedition. They ride good and work hard. Not the best at either but the best compromise for one sled that can do everything pretty well.

A lot of the 4strks have an auxiliary mini radiator to help with the cooling. I would recommend that you invest in some ski scratchers. The combo works pretty darn good in my exp. Well at least as long as I remember to deploy them

I don't mean to be impertinent, but you may have another issue.
    - An air pocket in your coolant system would cause overheating. If that were a possibility, it's a pretty easy fix. You park the sled on a steep incline while idling, take the coolant cap off for a while. Your rear heat exchanger should get HOT if you are sitting still.
    - Possible obstructed thermostat would cause overheating. I had an RMK once that the little legs that hold the spring in the thermostat rusted off. Blocked the system and caused overheating. Not likely in your Dragons, though.
    - My daughter had a blown head gasket which blew her coolant out and caused overheating, but you would certainly have noticed the huge cloud of steam following you.
    - We have a dozen RMKs and ride them on the lakes here in MatSu. Scratchers solved the problem with my 700 Dragon.

I have checked for an air lock and the thermostat and neither one is the problem. I may try the scratchers on the ski's and see what that does.

How bad is the heating problem? Does it trip the failsafe (4000 rpm barely-get-home) mode? Now you really have me curious... You are running NGK9 series plugs, not 8's, right? I bought the scratchers that are made of steel cable type material, so they swing out of the way when I use reverse. I wouldn't think the simple spring type would work less effectively, but maybe they are bent?? My heating problem was so bad that when I was riding on the trails and lakes, I melted a pair of boots on my boards. That was not pulling a load or anything. After the scratchers, my boards get luke-warm at worst. I am amazed at how well they cured my problem. I will keep thinking about your issue and ask my old-timer buddy, too.

Jktimm I'm ruining the BR8ES plug , which is what I thought Polaris called for. If it is to be the 9's this could be part of my problem as the 9's are cooler than the 8's if I remember right. Also I have the spring steel type scratchers from Polaris. Tell me about the the cable steel one's

Yep, you are right the 8s are hotter. Your sled should be BR9, and I think it called for the Iridium BPR9EIX plugs (but I just use the regular ones.)

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_fi...id=626&type=ir

These scratchers are really neat. They are made of what appears to be 1/2 stranded cable jacketed in plastic. On the end of each cable is a swaged 90 degree fitting with a carbide tip. Because the cable has no memory, you can leave them down for reverse. They bend backwards and then forward again when you start up. They were $60 at Power Sports Stuff, and the regular ones were like $45 and you had to clip the cheaper ones up onto the rails when you use reverse to keep from bending and ruining them.
    I think you have this heating issue beat... Happy Riding!

Oh, and here is a photo of the "Slidekicks" ice scratchers.

http://betweenthelinesdesigns.com/wp...ekicks-GIF.gif

Those things look pretty nice! I have always used the spring steel but they are a PITA if you need to reverse. My last sled didn't actually have reverse but I did forget to put them up when trailering a couple times. Nothing like trying to drag a sled off the trailer with scratchers down!

Thanks for all the info and advise. Going to change out the spark plugs and get a pair of the Slidekicks scratchers.

Default Overheating

A friend had an 03' Summit that would overheat as he used it to haul building material to his cabin in marginal snow conditions. He installed a small aftermarket radiator inside the cowling right a the nose. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Thanks for all the info and advise. Going to change out the spark plugs and get a pair of the Slidekicks scratchers.
    Look at putting in a minimum amount of studs center belt. Helps with traction and cooling. Add in the scratchers and you should be able to run bare ice for a long time without issue.

Your spark plug is not controling the temp your engine is running at, your cooling system and jetting is (if it isn't efi). Concentrate on getting snow to your heat exchangers via scratchers and your probably going to be fine.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Those things look pretty nice! I have always used the spring steel but they are a PITA if you need to reverse. My last sled didn't actually have reverse but I did forget to put them up when trailering a couple times. Nothing like trying to drag a sled off the trailer with scratchers down!
    I agree! Made a set of mine look like one of those bendy straws people use backing up one time with them still down.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"