Thread: Mossberg 510

Default Mossberg 510

Anybody have one of these?
    I bought one to replace the Winnie 1200 pump 20ga. which I use to carry for rabbit and chickens, but which my son repo-ed (gift to him long ago, but he had lost interest and left it here). Anyway, it is made for youth but comes with an extension to augment the stock. 5 lbs! Good action though a little stiff. I bought the blued model w/ plastic forearm and stock. I love how light it is and how easy it points. Made in USA! Comes in .410 as well. About $290 at Three Bears in Kenai.

Default Mossberg 510

Is this what you bought? A Mossberg 510 in 20 gauge? Looks like a great gun (the picture I posted is of a 410 off their website). I'd like to get a new youth .410 but haven't decided what to get. I'm shooting a old Sears break-open and am looking at a side x side or a Mossberg 505 or 510 youth.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep, that's it. There are actually two pieces that replace one to make the stock longer. When you pick this little beauty up you'll be amazed at how light and easy to carry it is.

I have 2 break-open .410s and I and my kids have enjoyed them over the years, but then I moved to a .28 gauge break-open which gave me a little more edge. As much as I love the .28, I appreciate the greater knock down force of the 20 since I am not a big wing shooter for grouse, and instead shoot them from trees. They can be way up there! I have also found that .20 ga. shells are generally cheaper than either .410 or .28 gauges. Additionally, this little gun would make a dandy home defense weapon if loaded with any number of the different types of slugs on the market. Not so sure anything smaller would do the trick.
    :-)

Seems like you got a great deal. Wally world wanted $296 for a Moss 500 .410 pump w/24" barrel. I'm going to see what I can find around town.

Have fun with the new shotgun.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Seems like you got a great deal. Wally world wanted $296 for a Moss 500 .410 pump w/24" barrel. I'm going to see what I can find around town.

Have fun with the new shotgun.

Tim
    You might try Three Bears out in Wassilla. My price is with borough tax, so your cost might be less.

Rats! My wife shot me down on a new purchase. Its her birthday this month. She said it wouldn't be right to buy myself a toy before her birthday. Bummer, because I'm heading to the gunshow tomorrow.

Tim

Hmmm...

I take it TCC, that your guns don't have babies like mine do, quietly... in the darkness of my gun closet. Unfortunate.

Buy a gun for your wife, and borrow it a lot.

She generally doesn't care and she doesn't shoot. She probably thinks I'm going to blow her birthday money on a gun, which I wouldn't do. I'm afraid of my guns reproducing because I clean them in the living room and she kinda knows what I have. I've always tried to maintain trust & honesty about gun purchases.

I got my eye on a nice Stoeger side x side .410 but the Moss 510 seems to be more of a kid friendly size/weight. Still haven't found a 510 in town and I didn't stop by Three Bears in Wasilla when I was at the gun show since we went riding afterward. (Got a grouse with my Sears break-open. ) I couldn't get my son positioned for a shot with his mini bolt on the first one we saw though. Suppose my purchase can wait till November, but that won't help me hunting the next few weeks!

Have you taken your 510 out yet?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    ... I've always tried to maintain trust & honesty about gun purchases...
    Honesty is always a good policy! I was just being a smart-aleck. My wife has never much opposed my gun purchases because she grew up in a gun using family (old time village Alaska). If I can bring home wild meat, she is usually in favor.

Lil' Mossy (with some help from me) has already taken one duck, two rabbits, and two spruce chickens!