Thread: Storing Achilles for the winter?

Question Storing Achilles for the winter?

In the past I kept the boat folded up in its case and tied up to the roof of the garage. I fig it wld be better to leave it inflated but not enough room in the garage.

Question? =

1. Wld it be better for the Achilles to be folded up in its case in the heated garage all winter or,

2. Left inflated outside all winter with osb on top and covered?

Thanks

Rick

I vote for #2, but I'm less experienced with rafts than many. keep the UV and moisture off it (tarp or plywood, up off the ground on palletsm etc.) and you'll be golden. just don't move it when it's cold/brittle.

by my logic a heated garage will cause it to age/ break down faster than colder temps will, as long as you keep it fairly dry and out of the sun while outside. Definitely get it up off the ground a foot if you get a lot of snow.

I would put a tarp over the plywood with some big boards /weights to hold the tarp down

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    I vote for #2, but I'm less experienced with rafts than many. keep the UV and moisture off it (tarp or plywood, up off the ground on palletsm etc.) and you'll be golden. just don't move it when it's cold/brittle.

by my logic a heated garage will cause it to age/ break down faster than colder temps will, as long as you keep it fairly dry and out of the sun while outside. Definitely get it up off the ground a foot if you get a lot of snow.

I would put a tarp over the plywood with some big boards /weights to hold the tarp down
    Well the garage is heated but kept cool.

I also think the degree you have to fold it up really makes creases in it. They don;t show when you inflate it but it must have an effect. Thats why I like keeping it inflated.

I may see if I can somehow keep it inflated and lift it above the car roof but below the garage door in the ceiling. Oh...the perils of Pauline huh? HA!.

Hello Rick,

Best practice concerning winter storage for an Achilles (guessing your talkin' the blue Sportboat you brought by the Hangar a month or so ago) is to thoroughly clean 'er up, make certain all is completely dry (all fabric, nooks/crannies, transom, floor boards and all)... 303 protect or similar if ya feel like... then Vacuum all air out (read like vacupak inflatable), roll 'er up and store indoors if at all possible.

Good Ideal to bag it for extra protection from dust/dirt, moisture, rodents, and things that may go bump in the wintertime. Off the ground on shelving better yet.

Folks that tend to favor outdoor storage under tarps, wood, and the other more creative likes... generally will be up for more wear, tear, and my hand with repair come spring.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default storing for the winter?

Storage? I want to keep floating. How cold is too cold?

I probably shouldn't push it because the floor on my self bailer takes on ballast water. I can't imagine it's good for it to let water freeze in there.

Kept mine out side for 12 years, cleaned it, protective coating and let it sit on trailer. Never had any thing happen or to fix other than clean the leaves out. They are tough, mine was Hypolon by the way!