Thread: Diff in Sportsman STOL vs Horton STOL

Smile Diff in Sportsman STOL vs Horton STOL

Can anyone explain the functional difference between those two STOL mods?

thanks

Rick

somebody can correct me if I'm wrong here. but I believe the sportsman has a bigger leading edge cuff as the big difference.

My sportsman stol consists of a big leading edge wing cuff, droop wing tips, and flap gap seals ... do not know about the horton stol but the sportsman stol has a real soft stall and I can put it into 700-800 ft per minute mush / stall and lower the nose and start flying again this happens at 40 to 45 mph. Cruise appears to be unaffected. I grew up with this plane and never flew a stright wing or horton stol kit ....
    Last edited by ocnfish; 10-04-2010 at 20:45. Reason: spelling

Don't have either one but the recognizable difference is the Horton uses a stall fence. I'm sure guys that have them can see other details that are specific to one another, but the stall fence is what I notice.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I am fortunate enough to be the newest owner, (last month) of a 77' 180K with Horton Stol...It has droop tips, stall fence, leading edge mod, and a bunch of other mods...I have only flown the sportsman stol once and don't believe it has the stall fence...getting ready to pick up my plane to fly up from the midwest...

Will be looking and researching the best way to do that...ALCAN or thru western Canada...

IndyCzar

Have flown to the "lower 48" 5 times ... always wanted to go the coast but always ended up doing the trench ... Williams Lake, Prince George, MacKinzee, Watson lake (long leg) White Horse, Northway (I believe that Northway no longer has 100 LL) The weather is just better, takes a little longer but you can stay VFR. In the c-180 all those segments are tollerable couple of hours each, except for the Prince George to Watson Lake, takes a while.

Thanks for the gouge Ocnfish...just signed up for eAPIS and ordered my customs decal...I have been looking at routing that same basic direction...Plane has full IFR and so do I but my biggest concern is max altitude crossing the mountains or going thru the passes, (not my first choice)...Looking forward to the adventure...any idea what altitude should be planned at the highest point....thank

That route is inter mountain, I did the whole thing at about 5500 ft because I think 78A has optimum performance at that altitude. It has been a while, last trip was in the mid 90's, I think at that time the Canadian VFR ceiling was something like 12,500 ft above which you had to file IFR. Williams Lake was the highest point ... I think.

thanks again...

last thought ... single pilot IFR in AK has the problem of icing anytime of the year. I donot fly in the clouds with an aircraft which while is very capable cannot handle the MEA's or the ice .... do not let anything but fear and common sense stand in your way .... have a safe trip.

In the Pacer's I flew at 5500 most of the way, in the 180 -8500', went to 11500' between Whitehorse and Northway due to winds of 45kts on the ground . Talked to a guy in a bird dog that I passed coming from Northway , he said the ride was a bit ruff at 7500' , I lucked out finding smooth air.-A side note, when there are forest fires you must top the area at 10,000' or go around in Canada. All in all a fun and easy trip. The only map you need is the alaska HWY sectional and they don't sell them enroute, they will sell you all the diferent one thou. You can order at sporties or other on line places. Ft. St. John is a bit pricey, after $50 in charts, $400 in fuel the guy charged me $25 to park outside in the ramp W/ my own tie downs then recomended I go direct to Watson Lake in marginal WX, bad plan in good WX, I would like to be found if I have to force land.

Flown 180's with sportmans, horton, and with out any stol kits installed (all on floats). Personally, didnt see a big differnce in sportmans vers horton, both do the basic job of lowering the stall speed. I like the stol kit on take off to get airborne quicker but actually prefer no stol kit for landings. Seemed like with the stol kit was more prone to being picked back up after touching down on gusty days during landings.

Excellent recommendation on the Alaska Highway chart...(always learning something even with over 35 years of flying...was not even aware that chart existed)...just ordered from mypilotstore.com...free shipping and other U.S. sectionals are usually a little cheaper...thanks again...