Thread: Ft. Rich/Symphony Lake (ER)

Default Ft. Rich/Symphony Lake (ER)

According to the regs, small game is open to hunting on Ft. Rich. How do I know where to go for grouse or hare? What do I need to get on base?

Also, has anyone hunted the Symphony Lake trail off Hiland for small game?

Thanks,
    Tim

Go to the visitor center at the main gate and talk to the guy behind the window. If possible, talk to Fabio, who is more friendly than the MPs. He will give you a bunch of forms and send you to a website that tells you if they are doing any military exercises on the day you plan to hunt. You don't want to get caught out on the tundra when an F-22 from Anchorage does a bombing run. I bet it would be cool to see from a nearby mountain though.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post

Also, has anyone hunted the Symphony Lake trail off Hiland for small game?
    South Fork valley is closed to all hunting, including small game. You have to be over the ridge in the Ship Creek drainage to hunt.

My bad, you said Fort Rich, not Fort Wainwright. Either way, the process is the same. You might be able to find some info online if you run a google search for hunting on Fort Richardson, but they can tell you everything you need to know at the gate. Just know that you'll have to tell them EVERYTHING about yourself if you plan on taking a gun on base. I'd almost say it's not worth the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    South Fork valley is closed to all hunting, including small game. You have to be over the ridge in the Ship Creek drainage to hunt.
    Thanks, Brian. I was too lazy to look it up and see if it was even open. I figured someone on here would know.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Just know that you'll have to tell them EVERYTHING about yourself if you plan on taking a gun on base. I'd almost say it's not worth the trouble.
    Are we talking 45 minutes at the gate? Possible cavity search? Didn't think it'd be easy to get on base with a couple guns. Do you know if I need any documentation that I don't usually carry? Like a birth certificate? I'll stop by the gate when I do a dump run this week and post what I find out. I'll try the google search too.

Tim

Default Ft. Rich Access

Here is the website for Outdoor Rec:

http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservat...C_USARTRAK.htm

Good stuff. I'll look into it this week.

Tim

Default No cavity search...

Got my RAP (recreational access permit). Didn't take long. I just wanted to get the paperwork to take home and fill out and it took mere minutes to get the permit--although there wasn't anyone in line at the visitors center when I got there.

You do have to declare the firearms that you intend to bring on base including make/model & serial number. Figured I'd put a 410 and a couple .22's down for small game hunting. Appears to be pretty seamless to hunt small game on base. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Didn't know they had an ATV (orv-whatever) area on base either.

Tim

You can't hunt with a .22 on base. Only shotgun, bow or muzzleloader.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuch View Post
    You can't hunt with a .22 on base. Only shotgun, bow or muzzleloader.
    Thanks! Saved me a call to the range master. The visitor center people didn't know about using a rimfire. Shotguns only; got it!

Thanks,
    Tim

RE: Fort Rich access -- must we (or don't we) require showing our hunter safety educ card for getting a pass to access Fort Rich for small game hunting with shotgun? The regs state YES. But the notes here do not mention it; and others have said NO, it's not necessary. I have had the training Outside 20 years ago but can't find my card and a replacement requires 6 weeks. Friends are active duty army, they report incredible success rates for all small game and minimal hunting pressure on base, but training is being stepped up and access may be more limited this winter according to those folks. They say they frequently see other critters including wolves, which would be awesome

If your going on base check with the conservation officers and they can give you maps and guide you in the right direction. There are some good guys that work out there. It requires the RAP and registering your guns. No rifles, shotgun/bow/muzzle loader only. Lots of rules, make sure you know them.

Where is the conservation officer? At the visitor shack? Do you have a number or lead to get a hold of this person?

Also; No I didn't have to show my hunter ed cart to get a RAP. Maybe I will when I check in and check my guns to hunt there? I don't know, but the regs say you have to have it.

Tim

you need a hunters ed card to hunt on ft rich/Army AK lands. You don't need it to get the permit, as the permit is simply a recreation permit to hunt, fish, hike, 4wheel on US army alaska lands. if you get stopped by MPs or conservation officers, you may be asked for it. i have hunted on ft rich many times for grouse and have never been stopped and asked for it. you could also ask the state you have yours in if they could reply to an email of yours with the basic info (when and where taken), and carry that with you until you get the replacement.