Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate this shot gun

Default Rate this shot gun

Here's a link of a shotgun I might consider, this is just for a last resort option for defense when I come up and visit for a camping/fishing trip I am planning around the Fairbanks area and I will be alone . Would this gun be enough or is it overkill ?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_175-3-0

if its only for self defence i say shorter gun... 12g yes but id have a pistol grip...

Thanks for the reply, I can't seem to find a pistol grip at bass pro shops and thats the only store around here that I know of and I would like to buy one here and get some practice time in a few months before I leave, so I don't think I would buy one in Alaska but I'm keeping my options open .

spend a little more money for an 870 express deer rifle with sights. skip the pistol grip unless you have brick layer or popeye fore arms. Shooting magnum powered slugs with a pistol grip turns the gun into a single shot due to the pain in your wrist after the first shot. Also with out serious shooting skills you need sights on the gun. Having a rear sight makes acquiring your target much easier than just a front bead.

gotta agree with AK Ray, 870's don't cost that much more than that mossy, and the slug barrel will let you handle it better in tight situations AND be more accurate with a slug (as that is what they are designed for). If you are more familiar with shotguns or "normal" rifles than carbines I would skip the pistol grip simply becuase it would be just one more thing you'd have to learn. I generally don't like the Mossberg name, from my experience (and mine alone) they are TYPICALLY not built as well as a Remington, Browning, or Benelli. A "deer shotgun" is probably going to be your best bet regardless of what brand you go with. Hope this helps!

-Justin
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

870 and full stock.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for the input, here is a link of several 870's http://www.basspro.com/_/N-0/No-0/Nt...ch_All/Ntt-870
    and this is the one I was leaning on http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_175-3-0 what do you all think of this choice ?

For just a bit more cash you can get a Benelli Nova Tactical with excellent ghost ring sights... I've enjoyed mine a lot.

I agree, the Remington 870 would be my choice and the one you are "leaning" towards should work great. For self defense I think the bead on the front would be OK. Good luck on the trip and the fishing.

A Remington 870 with extended mag tube and you will be set. Regular style with synthetic stock, or a regular length stock with a pistol grip. Put a CLAW shoulder strap on with sling swivels, that way you will be able to carry it and additional items all the time. Do not leave the shotgun anyplace because it seems like to much to carry. Keep it clean and well oiled to prevent rust. Take slugs, 00 buck, and bird shot, works for protection and food gathering.

If you wanted a weather impervious shotgun you might want to look at the Remington 870 Marine. A friend has one on his boat in Florida, just in case a "bear" wants to board his boat for some reason. It does cost quite a bit more though.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ne-magnum.aspx

The link to the 870 your leaning towards is pretty much like mine. I have the gray finish and it's peeling. A good friend has the black finish and it's holding up very well. The pistol grip can be found after market for $39.00, that includes a matching for-end. The grip by itself is a little less.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...oducts_id=4625

You mentioned buying one in Alaska. You also mentioned doing that when you visit Alaska. Last time I checked you had to be a resident to buy a gun, perhaps that's just a hand gun, I'm not sure.

No no hehe not in Alaska, I'm going to buy it here and get some practice time in and then ship it with some other gear to the hotel I'll be staying at a few days before I get there

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    Here's a link of a shotgun I might consider, this is just for a last resort option for defense when I come up and visit for a camping/fishing trip I am planning around the Fairbanks area and I will be alone . Would this gun be enough or is it overkill ?

For self defense I would rate that shotgun very low on the list of firearms that I would even consider for defense in any matter.

I would go with this one and have two uses for the gun.

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    For just a bit more cash you can get a Benelli Nova Tactical with excellent ghost ring sights... I've enjoyed mine a lot.
    2nd that!!! Pleased overall with the NOVA Tactical having the ghost ring sights... use Brenneke 3" slugs... Handling, accuracy, and reliability are very good.

Remington 870 in a tactical, Deer hunting, or short barrel set-up would be fine... but have 'shoulder-able" stock and not just a pistol grip. On the 870 -- you'll get what you pay for based on version, finish-work, and upgraded parts.

Are you a righty or lefty? This may determine other suggestions.

Have you considered used guns?

Have you thought about renting a gun up in Alaska for your trip?

I'd have to say (tho' maybe not at all in your ballpark)..... the Saiga-12 is my #1 recommendation in a rugged, reliable, accurate, corrosion resistant, and simple, personal defense auto-loader.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    2nd that!!! Pleased overall with the NOVA Tactical having the ghost ring sights... use Brenneke 3" slugs... Handling, accuracy, and reliability are very good.

Remington 870 in a tactical, Deer hunting, or short barrel set-up would be fine... but have 'shoulder-able" stock and not just a pistol grip. On the 870 -- you'll get what you pay for based on version, finish-work, and upgraded parts.

Are you a righty or lefty? This may determine other suggestions.

Have you considered used guns?

Have you thought about renting a gun up in Alaska for your trip?

I'd have to say (tho' maybe not at all in your ballpark)..... the Saiga-12 is my #1 recommendation in a rugged, reliable, accurate, corrosion resistant, and simple, personal defense auto-loader.
    I never even considered renting one, now theres an idea I will look into ...thanks =)

Don't think anyone will really rent one. To leave a shop the paper work still has to be done plus you need to enough cash to cover the cost of replacement if lost or damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post

As for the firearm, I'd say there are worse and better choices, but the 12 gauge shotgun has worked well for self defense for more than a century. I, for one, would never buy a new Mossberg 500 for your stated purposes. There must be a blue million used options at less than half that price that would work just as well, if not better, for your stated purposes.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Try looking at the Tactical Turkey in Mossberg and Remington. It gives you an M-4 stock, side saddle, screw in chokes, and sights. That is what I did with the thought process that it is as versatile as I can make it. The Benelli Nova Tactical is a great gun but lacks chokes for most hunting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast