Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat for a supercub

Default Boat for a supercub

In the beginning stages of looking for a quality boat that I can fit in my supercub.
    Primary use would be fishing smaller lakes and easier rivers, but would be great if I could hunt out of it. By default it would be a 2-person capacity at most.
    Any frame would need to be light and able to break down fairly small - and yeah, I realize "light and small" usually = $$$$
    Obviously an alpacka raft would work, but was wondering what other (as in bigger) options might be out there.
    Thanks in advance.
    Kerry

Default Canoe

Give Brian Richardson a call at Alaska Raft Connection. He has some awesome canoes and is great guy to deal with. Here are a couple of pics of his canoes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Frame

Here is a pic of the frame I built for mine and it breaks down and would fit in cub.

Kstout,

Take a look at the AIRE Traveler, it's an inflatable canoe purpose built for hunting. The weight is only 50 lbs or so although the web site says it 70. I remember there being some discussion on this discrepancy before perhaps someone will shed some light. Other than that the boat packs up real nice. I see no problem fitting it into a cub.

Not to mention it looks like it would be a great fit for one of 450's rowing frames. wink, wink

Dude- give me a call as i e-mailed you last night- been doing this over 30 yrs. and have some personal equipment that is in a class of her own-- or just read other other companies specs. I live on O'malley by the zoo and will be glad to work with you. Goo 345-4308

Quote Originally Posted by ducks n' dogs View Post
    Kstout,

Take a look at the AIRE Traveler, it's an inflatable canoe purpose built for hunting. The weight is only 50 lbs or so although the web site says it 70. I remember there being some discussion on this discrepancy before perhaps someone will shed some light. Other than that the boat packs up real nice. I see no problem fitting it into a cub.

Not to mention it looks like it would be a great fit for one of 450's rowing frames. wink, wink
    I have the drifter which is a short version of the traveler. It weights 48 lb with out the frame so I bet 70 on the traveler is close.

Sir, I also have an 8'6" urethane alpaka type raft. Brand new USA fabric, welded in Vancouver Canada. 420 denier 2 chamber tubes with 840 denier floor. Comes with aluminum frame and carbon oars or carbon 230 cm paddle. New full warranty. 14lbs.
    Guess we need to talk to see what you really need or want. This is my personal equipment and is the BEST!!!
    Sincerely,
    Goo
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com
    907-345-4308

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Sir, I also have an 8'6" urethane alpaka type raft. Brand new USA fabric, welded in Vancouver Canada. 420 denier 2 chamber tubes with 840 denier floor. Comes with aluminum frame and carbon oars or carbon 230 cm paddle. New full warranty. 14lbs.
    Guess we need to talk to see what you really need or want. This is my personal equipment and is the BEST!!!
    Sincerely,
    Goo
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com
    907-345-4308
    How about some pictures of this and maybe a link showing some of the stats on this?

check out the feathercraft web site. Its called the baylee III

PowerDrifter,

"I have the drifter which is a short version of the traveler. It weights 48 lb with out the frame so I bet 70 on the traveler is close."

Sounds cool... do you have any pics? I looked online and couldnt find a boat called the drifter.

fishing kenai sept 2010 021.jpgWell here is a shot of my power drifter on the kenai last week. It's 11 ft long 4 ft wide with inflated floor and has a motor well that unzips for a small motor for lakes or what ever I have added a few things and can say I really like this little guy alot.

Buy an Alpacka unless you want one of the significantly larger and heavier boats like the Aire. The Feather-Craft is a knock off of the Alpacka with no cost savings.

WRONG-- FEATHERCRAFT, Built the ALPAK for a time, Heaver fabric options, different spray skirt and different hull design as well as 2 chambers and a better seat system. Dont post something you have no clue about!!

Default Tomcat

Perhaps a Tomcat, under 50lbs for the 2 person, you can pack it too.

That's awesome! That's what I'm planning for the traveler. I remember something about it being around 50lbs not the 70 as stated on the web site. I'll have to look that up....

Did a quick search and found the info I was referring to. So it looks like 54lbs not bad for a small(ish) boat that will easily float 800lbs:

AIRE Traveler Weight Correction
    Hi folks,

There has been some incorrect information posted on the weight of the AIRE Traveler. The weight of this boat has always been around 54 lbs. AIRE mistakenly posted an incorrect weight on their website and in printed material that has been circulated. I have also repeated the heavier weight here in the rafting forum (I got my info from AIRE).

Sooo... the weight of the AIRE Traveler is 54 lbs. This might make a big difference for folks looking at a light-weight canoe for hunting, or for cata-canoe configurations.

Sorry for the mixup!

Tomcat Tandem
    Length: 12'9"
    Load Capacity: 450 lbs.
    Width: 38.5"
    Weight: 54 lbs.
    Drop another 1-2 lbs if you leave the seat backs out.
    http://www.aire.com/aire/products/default.aspx?id=212

Very tough boat

Yep... AIRE Trav. is 55 lbs with a cam-strap around it and no other straps or any seats.

Nope... While fly-weight and packable, the pack-raft is not a good SuperCub boat with much in the way of hunting and fishing versatility. Particularly un-forgiveness/loaded up instability, where waters are frigid and a paddler isn't 'wearing' suitable gear, plus 'perchance' not much of a paddler.

AIRE Trav is more a whitewater, hybrid down-river design and excels performance-wise best over all in what boaters call C2 or R2 modes of river-running. As a hunting boat (tho' works fine) it has some design limitations over running 12-13' raft or a canoe/skinny-raft concept. (for 1-2 people)

One and two person IK's are better left to paddle fun... bulk 'em out spells NOFUN

Tomcat and Tomcat 2 boats are a good value, and in the first 3-5 years are more or less pretty darn durable.
    BUT - After that... the i-beam floors are highly prone to de-laminate, stitching is suspect, 'vinyl' side tube bladders start to fog and/or frost-crack, including shaky valves, will likely start to go. Dealing w/ the first major malfunction... a reasonable fix will trump the cost of a lasting value 10+ year boat (you wish you had), and you'll be tossing $$$ at a product with little book value.

The boat 450Hunter has shown is a fairly versatile hunting/fishing boat --- emphasis on mellower water, shallow draft, 360 degree full-collar/flat floor concept of simplicity/rigidity/safety.

If I were to elaborate: green boat is a simple, proven raft design/concepts and Alaska hunting input for accessory ranks high. Portability and fly-out-ability ranks very high as this is intended use. Overall workmanship is good and clean. Price is fair minded and competitive. Commercial-use tested & passes? Yes - it makes the grade for intended purpose chiefly due to size. Overall ruggedness/durability on boat ranks Mid tier. Repair is Cake!

The green boat specs 5 chambers in all, real d-rings, 360 degrees of grommet lines, and motor mounting lending to all sorts of field
    practical solutions. 450Hunter made his own very nice frame set-up.... while ours are CNC machined then anodized T6 inner diameter fittings, constructed on 6063 t6 anodized rail, all fitting in a sack like a gun-bag.

I'd email or PM 450Hunter as to individual real-world specs: weight of boat, frame, oars, pump, straps, etc. if you will generally be on water by yourself plus new to this. I could certainly relate soundly proven and experienced recommendations... however, it may be quite successful to get an opinion from a super nice individual that's now realizing the versatility of his boat.

Great post, Brian. You know your stuff, my friend.
    Proud to be an American!

Brian,
    Great post! Would you care to elaborate on C2 and R2 River running?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast