Thread: Alyeska?

Default Alyeska?

What is the skiing like at Alyeska in terms of snow type, terrain, crowds, and all around atmosphere? Also what is in Girdwood besides Alyeska?

Alyeska has some incredible terrain and some years gets great snow. Most years, however, in my experience, there are more days of rainy and/ or icy conditions, than powder days. When you do hit it right though, the views of the inlet, with good snow and visibility, make it pretty hard to beat. The mountain really has a lot to offer, from beginner to expert, with some fairly long intermediate groomers thrown in the mix. I don't do much in the parks, but it seems to me Alyeska has some pretty decent man-made terrain features that keep the jibbers happy as well. The crowds have never really been an issue for me. Occasionally chair 6 or the tram can be a bit of a wait, but I've skiied at many resorts in the west, and I wouldn't consider Alyeska crowded by comparison. The atmosphere is great, and the Sitzmark has about the most reasonably priced (and very tasty) food and brew of any on mountain restaurant at any of the larger resorts I've skiied. As for what is in Girdwood, look for Chair 5 pizza and the double musky for excellent dining options. There are also snow cat and heli skiing operations based in Girdwood, if your budget allows.

Thanks for the info. I forgot to ask how is the tree skiing and how much is there? I'm from Maine and icy conditions are pretty normal but on good snow days I've got a love for the trees.

Not much for tree skiing. The North Face should keep you stoked enough for a while.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I'm with Phish, there are some trees at Alyeska, but they just grow too close together to make for any decent skiing. I miss seeking out the powder stashes in the trees in Montana. 3 or 4 days after a good snow, you could still find untracked powder if you knew where to look in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Not much for tree skiing. The North Face should keep you stoked enough for a while.
    What is on the north face?

A few drops, couple of chutes, Money's, and some regular old decent pitch skiing. I spent a few years cutting trees out of there to open it up. Good times. The main way down from most North Face work was demolished a few years ago and turned into an 8 groomer wide highway. It's awesome on powder days.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

out2pasture
    I am from Maine as well, moved up here in 94. Similar to sugarloaf but WWWAAAY better conditions, and now where near the crouds. "icy" here is much better than in Maine. Crowds might be like saddle back. NOTHING like sunday river. You will be plesantly surprised. great all around family moutain, has something for everyone!

Phish thanks that sounds good to me.

TBLOOMA you put it in words I can really understand. I usually ski sugarloaf but been to sunday river and saddleback. I like saddleback for tree skiing and they have no shortage. The only shortage they have is crowds. Sunday river is a place I wouldn't mind never going again. Just too many people.

out2pasture,
    yeah I totally agree, I grew up on sebago, and thats getting crowded!!!! Yeah thats why I moved to AK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    out2pasture,
    yeah I totally agree, I grew up on sebago, and thats getting crowded!!!! Yeah thats why I moved to AK!!!
    Good enough reason. I want better skiing and more hunting and fishing. Alaska seems like the right spot for me.