Thread: Parks Highway stream 10/2

Default Parks Highway stream 10/2

Hit up the confluence of one of the Parks Highway and the Big-Su. Water was higher than I expected.

Only caught 4 rainbows, the biggest maybe 18 inches. Did manage to catch 30 or more grayling in about 4 hours of fishing. Nothing huge, 10 to 14 inches. Being a novice at the fly fishing thing, the grayling were a great target. Every time I got a cast to lay out right and hit the spot, I would get a strike.

Caught the grayling on a pretty much everything I threw at them. Small black leech pattern, a small mickey finn streamer, and black gnat. All the rainbows came on a purple marabou wooly bugger type fly with a 6mm pink bead ahead of it for an improvised purple esl.

I have to figure out how to take pictures when I am by myself. Took a dozen photos but none worthy of posting. Could be operator error but so far I am unimpressed with the Olympus stylus tough 8010. Bought it for the water and shockproof features but has not lived up to expectations.

Sounds like a GREAT day Kardinal!
    Wish those pics had come out... Heck, post them anyway! Probably better than you think!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Ok, let me try this. A little bit of photoshopping for sharpness and color balance. Too bad I am not good enough to resize the fish. I wonder if anyone would believe me if I said the bead in the grayling picture was one of those monster 50mm beads and the fly in the rainbow was tied on a 16/0 shark hook....haha.

A couple more... After playing with some of the sharpening and color balance issues, it seems like the software in the camera is an issue. A lot of the other pics I took come out exactly as I "saw" them at the time of photo when I correct some of the levels. odd....

I can't think of a better spent 4 hours. Sounds like you really nailed the grayling

It was a great day. No wind and it only sprinkled the last 15 minutes I was there before dark. The only thing that could have made it better was not finding a pin hole leak in my waders. That water was frigid! I stepped into a hole that two people were working. They knew what they were doing and were catching a grayling every cast. After they worked it for maybe an hour, I stepped in after they left and for every good cast, I had a strike. Unfortunately for me, a good cast was maybe one out of every three or four casts. It really makes you wonder how many grayling were in that stretch of water.

You definitely knew when you hooked one of the rainbows though! Too bad there weren't a few more of those. But I'd be spoiled if I complained about that day. After living in Alaska pretty much since 1971, I had no idea that light weight fly fishing for trout is so much fun. Pretty much always focused on the salmon, and what trout fishing I did was trolling ultralight spinning gear in a canoe.

Kardinal So after reading your last post I'm pretty sure that was you I was fishing just down from. I was the guy removing the virgin from a new sage. I talked to you in the parking lot as we where leaving at dark. Sorry about your camera shots. I have been looking and reading online about the different water proof cameras and they don't give any of them a very good rating. If you can't get it to do a little better I would take it back. The grayling where fun and nice to have meet another forum member out having fun. Tight lines

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Kardinal So after reading your last post I'm pretty sure that was you I was fishing just down from. I was the guy removing the virgin from a new sage. I talked to you in the parking lot as we where leaving at dark. Sorry about your camera shots. I have been looking and reading online about the different water proof cameras and they don't give any of them a very good rating. If you can't get it to do a little better I would take it back. The grayling where fun and nice to have meet another forum member out having fun. Tight lines

Yup that was me! Thanks for taking the time to chat. I am still such a newbie at this fly fishing thing. Internet and books provide a lot of information but asking someone that knows what they are doing in the spot you are fishing seems a lot cheaper with much better information.

The camera thing is a bit of a bummer but after ruining several smartphones over the past few years all from fishing, I just picked up the one that seemed the most indestructible. I guess its not like I am selling my shots so I just need it to shoot "proof" of my catch. In my crowd, the rule is: "No photo or reliable witness= No fish." lol. I am still hoping like my fly casting, it is merely operator error with the camera. I try not to blame my equipment until I really determine it is the problem.

Hope to see you on the water again here sooner than later!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    In my crowd, the rule is: "No photo or reliable witness= No fish."
    Lucky you... In my crowd a photo with no reliable witness = accusations of photoshop :-P

Glad to hear you found some fish!!

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Lucky you... In my crowd a photo with no reliable witness = accusations of photoshop :-P
    Wow...tough crowd! Yah...it was hell trying to toss that esl tied on 16/0 hook with my 4 wt! I'm not that good with photoshop so I have to alter the perspective....lol.