Thread: tracked snow blowers and dirt and gravel driveway..

Default tracked snow blowers and dirt and gravel driveway..

ok the snow plow for a atv got me to thinking about tracked snow blowers and the standard driveway of peagravel and dirt in the area where i live ..

what depth do i need to set the blower level to before i start to pick up rocks and dirt in the blower blade system from the driveway ..i was think about 3.inchs deep starting from the small outside truck garage set up for the cabin ..from the starting point inside the garage to the end of the driveway is about 125.ft start to finsh ..

so would a tracked snow blower be better for use on that length of a driveway ..

The snowblower would be much better as with a plow you are limited after a while as the snow builds up you can only push so much snow . With the blower you can get it out of the way each time. As for depth the first time is going to be the biggest problem ,after it gets a packed base then you want to go down to that leval each time or you will have a build up.

What I have done in the past with snowblowing a gravel driveway was to purposely pack down the first snowfall as long as it wasn't a big dump. In the range of 3-6 inches, you can just drive over it making sure to drive on the full width of the driveway if possible packing it down with the car/truck tires. Once you have that packed base, just let the snowblower ride on the base and you should be good.

Trying to hold the blower a set height above the ground when you can't see it is difficult at best in my experience.

thank you for the info .

Ditto "anchskier" on packing. Don't be in a hurry to start moving snow too soon in the season. I use the truck to pack down the drive after the first couple snows. If there is enough snow, I'll use the snowmachine to start the packing process and finish it off with the truck. I want a couple inches of hard-pack and ice on the driveway before starting to use the plow. It is even more critical to have that hard pack base before running a blower. Any decent snowblower can take a rock (or even a frozen dog turd) and pitch it right through the neighbor's window at 2-3 times the distance that the snow is being thrown out.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

thanks for the info on the snow technigues for packing down a driveway first .

packing the first snow is a good idea, but works a little better with wetter snow than the dry stuff we get here in Fairbanks. My technique is not too refined, when there's loud clanks and stuff flies through the air I raise the blower up a bit. Treat the spout like a gun and always keep it pointed in a safe direction.....or if neighbors are close keep it pointed away from the neighbor who least deserves to be hit with a frozen dog turd....Louis
    Louis Knapp

I have a wheeled thrower and it works great, except in hard pack (drifts) when it wants to ride up on the hard pack. Any one else have this problem? Was thinking about trying a tracked thrower to see if it would not ride up on the hard pack? Anyone have experience with a tracked thrower?
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Blue Thunder,
    I have both types and have experienced the same problem with a wheeled thrower riding up on hard packed snow. I've solved that problem by cutting into the bank with a sharp, flat shovel to break up the hard pack and then make one pass through the loosened snow. After that, I may attack the drift with half a pass of the thrower to keep it from riding up the drift.

A tracked thrower has a feature that allows the auger to remain at the same height in relation to the ground and thus power its was through a drift. Unfortunately, a tracked thrower is nearly twice or maybe three times the price of a wheeled thrower. There is some kind of EPA emissions regulation that has jacked up the prices. Last time I knew (2-3 years ago), Honda was the only manufacturer of new tracked throwers.

Dobber

Thanks Jacobson, that is the info I was looking for. If I can find a tracked blower I will try it if it doesn't brake the bank.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning