Thread: Just experienced my first duck hunt....

Default Just experienced my first duck hunt....

First of all, thanks to Duckhunter01 and Ralph for showing me the ropes. I hunted ducks for the first time today at Rabbit Slough, and we were successful! Based on their comments, the day could have gone better (high winds made the numbers low) but we still took home 15 birds. I will be feeding my family duck for the first time tomorrow. The experience overall was more than I hoped it would be. It was hard work, but worth every second. I am hooked, and will deffinitely be back.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Anytime...Enjoyed it as well...hard work is key to being successfull when it comes to hunting..if it was easy...everyone would be there...glad you had a great time...you are always welcome in my blind.

DH01

How far down rabbit slough is it to some decent duck hunting areas? I am not having any luck this year at all at my usual stomping grounds.

I don't know what it is in miles, the shough is pretty windy. I did it once in a sq stern canoe and sm motor in about 20 min i think. A bit faster in a 16' jon and 40 hp pump. In my opinion you need a boat, but some do walk in. The most noteable spot is the first duck shack, dark green, and can't be missed. Easy access there to duck lake, which is not dependent on tides. There is access prior to dl, and some pot holes that are accesable before dl, takes a lot of leg work to find your spot of choice. I used to hunt the salt, but you need to learn the tides and use long lines for your deks. Also if hunting the tides, be prepared to be stranded for up to 12 hours if the outgoing tide should catch you. Good luck, and beware of wading the mud, lots of suction there and people have lost thier lives after getting stuck in the Cook Inlet mud and being swallowed by it and the tide. Bud

I understand you stayed at that camp where that jerk hags out. You have to watch him, he's been known to shoot at people. LOL
    Glad you had a good time. Hope to see you out there again. It was kind of fun having some of america's best in camp. And thank you guys for you service. Your welcome in at my camp anytime.