Thread: cant find ptarmigan

Default cant find ptarmigan

I have found a few good places for grouse since I have been here (since April), but I am having trouble getting on ptarmigan I really want to get my dog on some birds that dont tree up when they are flushed I kive in Fairbanks I have a polaris ranger. I dont know alot about Ptarmigan I dont even know where to start looking just looking for some advice or a point in the right direction thanks all

Be patient, wait for the snow. Once the snow flies you'll be able to spot their tracks in the treeless areas.

go out for 1/2 hour walks that turn into 4-6 hour walks. you'll find them eventually. helps to be lost in thought / fascinated by plants, clouds, snowflakes, rocks, or other nearby objects to while away the time.

Fish and game has a 42 page booklet that has lots of stuff in it. http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/i...rticles_id=180
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

moose-head, I emailed that address about 2 weeks ago and still have not heard a thing about the book. I requested a copy and still nothing. Do you know ohw long it takes? I never even got an email back or anything.

I have always just gone in to their Soldotna office and gotten stuff there. The biologists are usually pretty willing to shoot the breeze for a bit if they are not too busy, although they often are, and I have learned quite a bit just from talking to them. They can show areas on maps that they are familiar with from doing surveys. I have not had them mail me anything yet, but often times some agencies seem to wait until they have a bunch of them going out and then they will mail larger quantities, that helps with their sorting etc. I would be interested in hearing back (if and) when you do get it in the mail.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    moose-head, I emailed that address about 2 weeks ago and still have not heard a thing about the book. I requested a copy and still nothing. Do you know ohw long it takes? I never even got an email back or anything.
    I got mine in about 2 weeks -- and I also got an email reply indicating it was on the way within just a few days. You may want to follow-up if you haven't heard anything at all.

Ok I just sent them another email. Thanks for the feed back.

Roughneck...

Fall ptarmigan aren't all that easy to find, but soon the birds will be migrating into the interior from many directions and there will be plenty of birds available. In the meantime, and after the snow arrives to stay, hunt the high treeless areas and be ready and willing to cover a lot of ground. Good luck.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I have always just gone in to their Soldotna office and gotten stuff there. The biologists are usually pretty willing to shoot the breeze for a bit if they are not too busy, although they often are, and I have learned quite a bit just from talking to them. They can show areas on maps that they are familiar with from doing surveys. I have not had them mail me anything yet, but often times some agencies seem to wait until they have a bunch of them going out and then they will mail larger quantities, that helps with their sorting etc. I would be interested in hearing back (if and) when you do get it in the mail.

I live out by Houstan and dont head out to palmer often so im hoping to get one in the mail. I Am going to the gunshow this weekend in palmer though so I may head over and pick one up.

Well, I just got an email back and they said it will be on its way this morning

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Fish and game has a 42 page booklet that has lots of stuff in it. http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/i...rticles_id=180
    Thanks for the link moosehead. Got an email from them in one day and mine is on the way. Rep to ya.

Tim

I just sent an email too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Roughneck...

Fall ptarmigan aren't all that easy to find, but soon the birds will be migrating into the interior from many directions and there will be plenty of birds available. In the meantime, and after the snow arrives to stay, hunt the high treeless areas and be ready and willing to cover a lot of ground. Good luck.

Jim

Thanks Jim
    I guess I forgot to keep patient thanks for the info

Climb above 1500 feet, above the treeline in fall and both above and below the treeline in winter. Rock ptarms blend in perfectly well with rock and snow. You'll hear their chirp before you see them. Freeze immediately and remain still till you see them move, often they'll be super close, like <10 feet.

Default spend the time looking around

The best way to find birds is to get a good spot and glass for them -- between this and my dog's nose, I tend to find a lot of birds. Try to hunt right around treeline early on, and then above and below treeline once the snow gets a little bit deeper. Look for patches where there are berries and low shrubs for the birds to feed on. I got 6 yesterday afternoon and all of them had willow or birch buds and blueberries in their crops.

I too feel the frustration of finding these little guys. I have been up to murphy dome 4 times in the past week and come back empty handed every time. On two seperate occasions I have had a flock fly over my head out of range, but I was unable to see where they might have landed. I tried the glassing method, but the snow cover is still pretty broken, so it seems finding a set of tracks or a little ptarmigan eyeball would be difficult. I've got a lotta of walking in, and saw a small bull moose, but no p-birds. Legs kill birds? More like, birds kill my legs.