Thread: The fuel mgmt system

Default The fuel mgmt system

Has anyone added the the fuel mgmt system to theer boat? If so how has that worked out?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I run the Yamaha FM setup on my 115 4S, works well, gives good info, spendy tho at $600 MSRP (2 years ago), bought mine on Ebay for $300 NIB. A floscan may be less $ and gives basically the same info.

NSchlee

I just heard about this. what does this actually do???
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default fuel mgt

I just recently did a little research on them. It was recommended to me by a friend with a larger boat set up than mine. He's running a 28' KingFisher w/ twin 150's... I can see where his fuel consumption and his potential range may make such a set up worth his time and money. My 20' soft-top has 85gal of fuel and a 115 HP 4 stroke. The large tank coupled with the boats relative short range and fuel effecient motor kind of make it a waste of time for me... I don't spend weeks on end out cruising the sound.

As for your set up... I'd do it in a heart beat. A local dealer/friend recommended Floscan. He told me the dealer side of him could'nt come close to the price.

It takes ALL the guess work out of your fuel level.... Not a bad thing if you're gonna push it.

Basically a fuel usage computer, gives GPH, MPG, range, tracks usage for a specific distance etc. On later Yamaha's it is offered as a factory option, the wiring harness is pre-wired for it, and there is a small flow valve that is placed in the fuel supply line to the motor. Yamaha had a warranty problem with the early valves, it has since been resolved. The FM option also gives you the option of having a Water in Fuel warning light, to use use this feature you'll need the high dollar filter with the sender in it.

Neal

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

I have the yamaha fuel mgmt system on twin 225 4 strokes,always good to within 2 gallons,most I've ever used is 80 gallons on a trip.

I installed a Navman 3100 last year and the added data is amazing. Constant MPG, GPH, and Range are just some of the cooler features. Since I didn't want any more holes in my panel I fabbed up a gimbal-bracket(modified Raymarine DS500X Bracket) and hung it from my overhead shelf.

Gray,

Absolutely worth it. I had Dewey's put the Yamaha system in my boat before I picked it up. I gives you GPH at whatever RPM your currently running. Its not an average or anything like that. Real time stats make it allot easier to find a good RPM. It also tells you exactly how much fuel you have used. It can be adjusted in case it is off a bit. Mine is about a gallon off after 50 - 60 gallons on the side of having an extra gallon on board so I haven't adjusted it. Also it will give you MPG if you hook it up to your GPS. I haven't done this yet but am going to as soon as the snow is gone. Will be nice to find the best fuel econ for those long trips when you need to conserv fuel.

If I see you at the launch next spring I'll show you the setup. Pretty slick.

D
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I bought the factory Suzuki flow meter when I repowered. That system doesn't have the greatest reputation, but so far it's working good.

Got some clean up work to do on that dash.