Thread: glue for antlers

Default glue for antlers

I busted a tine while retrieving my moose, it didn't totally break off though so I don't need the epoxy just a good glue and a clamp I think. What glue should I use? I have about a 3" open area because it split at about a 25% angle.

Thanks

As an antler carver, here is what I'd do: If it is a clean break use the really thin cyanocrylate (super glue) which is found in hobby shops (Cyanoset or Hot Stuff I believe). Hold the tine down really well and let the glue flow in the break. You can use their "zip kicker" to make the glue set instantly if you want. Careful not to get stuck, this stuff is thin!

If it is not a clean break, you may want to use some slow set epoxy glue mixed 4-1 with a filler such as fine wood dust, or even baking soda. Then, if necessary, you could dry brush some similar colored or mixed matt acrylic paint over the break after trimming the epoxy over-bead. Good luck.

Gorilla glue works well, but I would not use it because it expands and would likely cause headaches. Sounds like Sayak has a pretty good solution.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The break is relatively clean, it's at a 20% or so angle on a 1" diameter tine. It's about 3-4" long and still attached at 1 end. The inside is relatively porous.

Quote Originally Posted by dbeast71 View Post
    The break is relatively clean, it's at a 20% or so angle on a 1" diameter tine. It's about 3-4" long and still attached at 1 end. The inside is relatively porous.
    True, all antler will be porous inside, and you can deal with this first by pre-treating those surfaces with super glue, It will soak right in up to a point. Then just put them together and make your actual repair.