Thread: Day/night question

Default Day/night question

I found this link with the total hours of sunlight for each month, is this accurate ?

http://www.whygoalaska.com/how-long-...in-alaska.html

I was leaning towards late september .
    Last edited by Rumbarr; 10-02-2010 at 18:20. Reason: added table

It looks pretty accurate from what I can tell. Remember that at this time of year (September/October) we are losing close to 6 minutes a day here in anchorage, more the further north you go.

I guess the "best" time to visit up here would depend on what you are trying to do. Although there is a lot less official daylight in the winter, it doesn't get nearly as dark as it does after dark in the summer due to the snow on the ground.

Well, Ill be visiting probably Sept or oct in 2011, so a year away but maybe sooner. Gonna spend about 2 weeks somewheres around the Fairbanks area and do some camping, trout fishing and hopefully get some nice pics of great horned and grey owls . Thats the basic plan and I research everday here on these forums and others. So much to see and do and most importantly what to do and not do . I just wouldnt want to go at a time where the days are superlong .

By mid Sept and early Oct you will not be doing much fishing here in the Fairbanks neck of the woods. Most years you will be looking at snow on the ground and low teens to 0 temps. August would be your best time. That would get you mid 70's day time and 50 at night with about 14 hours of day light.
    This has been a weird fall this year. We started getting snow about three weeks ago. Nothing staying on the ground until a week ago. Before that it was in the 60 degree range. Now we just got six inches in the past two days. Anchorage got snow before we did this year ????? Not sure why.