Thread: Legs Kill Grouse!

Default Legs Kill Grouse!

"Legs kill grouse"

This maxim of experienced grouse hunters is well known and no one keeps it a secret. Why then, after being provided this information, do people ask to hunt with you and then crap out almost immediately? I realize that I am likely too A.D.D. to hunt big game, thats why I chase birds. Knowing my inability to sit still, I pursue game that allows me to move (a lot). If you don't like to keep moving or to put a lot of miles on your boots, then don't hunt birds. Go fishing or sit in a tree stand, but you probably have no business upland bird hunting. (I suppose you could find one of those English style driven hunts)

And while I'm ranting...yes grouse come out on roads to pick up grit, but that doesn't mean that you should look no where else. Get off of the roads to hunt.

Thank You for allowing me this moment to rant.
    Tyler

Amen to that!

I do both. I'll walk a gated road or trail, then pursue them into the woods. Either way, it is a lot of leg work, and 90% of it is pure pleasure. But that doesn't mean that while driving I won't screech the truck to a halt and go chasing after a bird that flies into the trees from the road either. Guess you could call me an opportunist.

Tyler...I like you.

I'm getting older and a lot less tough. Have aches in places I didn't know I had places. But when I take someone hunting with me - young or old - all I hear is "Are you trying to kill me?" And, "Don't you ever stop for a break, or to eat lunch?" And, "Do you even remember where you parked the truck?"

I did some four hours of walking behind my dogs today. Wanted to prove how the sharptails had mostly all departed toward their wintering grounds and found I was right. Dogs only found two coveys, one small, one large, and several single and very skittish birds. I took most of my five birds from the coveys, but ended the day's hunt by taking a single, a cock bird, as I suspected. The mature males will stay behind and be the last birds to leave for the wintering grounds. I walked a lot of miles! And most guys who do go with me only go once. I figure I only have...I dunno, ten to twenty years of such hunting left, and I want to make the best of it while I can. I turned 61 this past August.

Keep it up, you're doing it as it was meant to be.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I do both. I'll walk a gated road or trail, then pursue them into the woods. Either way, it is a lot of leg work, and 90% of it is pure pleasure. But that doesn't mean that while driving I won't screech the truck to a halt and go chasing after a bird that flies into the trees from the road either. Guess you could call me an opportunist.
    I applaud your honesty...at least you put your time in on foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    ...But when I take someone hunting with me - young or old - all I hear is "Are you trying to kill me?" And, "Don't you ever stop for a break, or to eat lunch?" And, "Do you even remember where you parked the truck?"

I used to think that I owed it to Gauge to stop and take a break now and then, but that fool can't sit still anymore than I can. Good hunting partners like that are hard to find. As for lunch, it just ends up being more stuff to carry...start the day with a good breakfast and carry an energy bar. And No, I don't remember where I parked the truck, but if we keep hunting we'll probably come across it. The funny part about taking someone along that complains, is that it makes me push that much harder. The Army has probably warped me, but I just can't help myself.

That is why finding a good hunting buddy is so hard. Few realize the actual work most hunters put in, and that sometimes you walk all day and get nothing. Most of my hunting "buddies" ***** out at about the 1 or 2 hour mark, and make up some BS about needing to pick someone up, or work to be done.
    I have all but given up on humanity, so I just walk this earth, and my hunting trails, like a lone wolf. I think maybe I just like it better that way.

Well, Im going up to Hatchers Pass this Wedsday morning. Getting up early and going to try to be on hatchers pass road as the sun is coming up and possibly get some grouse off the road. Then when I get up above the tree line do some walking. Im taking a friend with me, and im hoping he dont cr@p out on me. I dont mind walking but some times my buddy is a weeny lol. I like the guy but he cr@((ed out on me when we went dipnetting last summer so im hoping he mans up lol. Its hard some times to find people who dont mind getting some exercise these days.

Tailwind, check your pms later.