Thread: Public imput for Kasilof special use area needed very soon

Thumbs up Public imput for Kasilof special use area needed very soon

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ken/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.png[/IMG]KARSUA Cover Letter.pdf

I hope this works cause I am Computer stupid but click on the "KARSUA Cover letter.pdf" from DNR, showing above, concerning public meetings and time to response for the public period time allotment. Once this special use management area is created, there is then another process to include specifics like where camping will be allowed, vehicle use, discharge of firearms for target practice etc.
    It looks like the fence on the south side is going just upland from the existing road that bisects the dunes. DNR reasoning is that this access has been in use for over 40 years so it has a historical use and they also want to build Bathroom Facilities near the beach ; this would help with access to them and for public safety issues too. Anyone wanting to read the Decision from DNR, concerning the fence, PM me and I will forward the e-mail I received.
    I only hope all of you that participate in dipnetting or are concerned about the habitat, take the time to read and put in your own opinions. Thanks to all that have been doing so already. Remember people, this can affect your access and summer recreation.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

So if I destroy public lands for 40 years I get to keep doing it regardless of the impact? The justification written by DNR is a terrible rationale for the decision.

However, having said that if the special management area is formed then there is a chance that the remaining area can be protected. Without it there is no chance so I hope people support the special management area.

Frankly, DNR position on the fence location makes no sense to me. The beach provides users access and protects the adjacent environment. However, the State just does not want to take on the responsibility of defending an environmental sound decision - easier to just go with the easy route and hope no one files an appeal.

We both started this Nerka but both of us don't have that much control on what the final outcome will be. That said, the loaf of bread analogy we talked about privately is still better than none at all, IMO. To those in the dark, I told Nerka that half a loaf was better than no loaf at all, concerning each of our desires when it comes to protecting the resource and habitat. The public will decide on what they want and that it is why it is so important that anyone who gives a hoot, just even a little bit, to chime in with your thoughts.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Whop, half a loaf is only good enough if it keeps you alive. This is better than nothing and I hope as I stated that the special management area gets lots of support. It is needed as right now the whole 200 acres of State land can be trashed and part has been. So lets hope DNR can produce the results that are needed and puts in a budget to complete the projects that need to be done.

We are further down the road than a few months ago.

Post Here is the complete text of the letter: DRAFT KASILOF RIVER SPECIAL USE AREA

thewhop asked me to post this for him; he sent me a pdf file, I extracted its textual (only) contents and I post it here for him. You'll have to imagine the fancy letterhead it was on, ok? The formatting is a little not-nice, but that's what happens when you extract text from a nice, pretty PDF file.

I have also attached to this post the actual PDF file if you want to see it in its original format/letterhead/etc.

FamilyMan
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

SEAN PARNELL, GOVERNOR

DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES

550 WEST 7TH AVENUE, SUITE 900C
    ANCHORAGE, ALASKA 99501-3577
    DIVISION OF MINING, LAND & WATER
    PHONE: (907) 269-8503

SOUTHCENTRAL REGION LAND OFFICE

FAX: (907) 269-8913

“Develop, Conserve, and Enhance Natural Resources for Present and Future Alaskans.”

October 1, 2010

RE: DRAFT KASILOF RIVER SPECIAL USE AREA - ADL 230992

Dear Fellow Alaskan:

In a committed effort and in direct response to overwhelming public and agency concerns regarding the impacts from the intense use patterns on state land during the personal use fisheries surrounding the mouth of the Kasilof River, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Division of Mining, Land and Water (DMLW) Southcentral Regional Land Office (SCRO) has initiated the process of designating the lower Kasilof River, and vicinity, a Special Use Area.

The newly established Kasilof River Special Use Area (KARSUA) boundary is located in the area of the lower Kasilof River system and will directly affect approximately 2,665 acres of state owned and managed lands (including both uplands and tidelands) within the KARSUA boundary. The draft Kasilof River Special Use Area decision is now available for a 45 day comment period beginning October 1st till November 15th and can be viewed at
    our website at: http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/kasilof/ .

Please note all comments on the KARSUA must be submitted in writing and received no later than 5:00pm November 15, 2010.

The proposed Special Use Area would protect habitat important for a variety of wildlife including waterfowl, shore birds, fish, and various aquatic resources; it would integrate a system of management designed not to limit overall public use, but to manage it so as to provide for increased public enjoyment of the area’s resource values; and use the opportunity to manage and promote this area as one of the state’s most accessible and highly valuable attractions on the Kenai Peninsula. Specific regulations consistent with this KARSUA would be adopted per the Administrative Procedures Act (APA) after the establishment of this area.

The Department has scheduled two informational public meetings during the 45 day comment period with the locations, dates and times listed below. We encourage the public and other interested parties to attend one of the meetings to learn more about the draft KARSUA and provide your input.

ANCHORAGE: Central Middle School Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:30 - 8:30pm

KASILOF: Tustumena Elementary School Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:30 - 8:30pm

10/1/10
    Page 2 of 2
    HOW TO PROVIDE WRITTEN COMENTS:

All comments must be provided in writing and received by the comment deadline to be considered for the final Kasilof River Special Use Area decision.

All written comments on this proposal must be received no later than 5:00 PM on November 15, 2010 to be considered.

To submit comments, please choose one of the following methods:

Online: http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/kasilof/

Postal: Department of Natural Resources
    Southcentral Region Land Office
    ATTN: Adam Smith or Raymond Keough
    550 West 7th Avenue Suite 900C
    Anchorage, AK 99501-3577

E-mail: adam.smith@alaska.gov or raymond.keough@alaska.gov

Fax: 907-269-8913

Hard copies of the KARSUA are also available on request by contacting the DNR Public Information Center at 907-269-8400. Please note if public comments result in significant changes to this Draft Decision, additional public notice may be given. Questions about this project or how to comment should be directed to either: Adam Smith at 907-269-8557 or Raymond Keough at 907-269-8566.

Sincerely,

Raymond Keough
    Natural Resource Manager
    SCRO, DMLW, DNR

ANCHORAGE: Central Middle School Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:30 - 8:30pm
    To all of those that are interested, please attend this meeting and testify on your own beliefs. Good time to let the public chime in, thewhop

Don't forget there is a meeting tonight Wednesday October 27 from 6:30-8:30 at the Tustumena Elementary school in Kasilof on this issue.
    This would be a great opportunity to speak your mind on this issue!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thumbs up Kasilof special use area

Just a reminder that there is only three days left to have your comments in, concerning the Kasilof Special Use area.
    There is some confusion on what this means. The special use area will help the state come to terms with the large crowds every summer.
    On possible new rules, nothing is written to determine effective crowd control, user fee's, vehicle access, etc. None of these will come to pass without another open comment period, concerning possible regulations. First the special use area must be passed.
    Only later will we be discussing things like vehicle access on existing trails and beaches, Target shooting within the special use area, camping and parking, dumpster service ,etc.
    If you have not done so, I implore you to back up a few posts and write a quick e-mail in support of this. This is a Win/Win for All Alaskans and for the habitat. Just put in your e-mail that you would like it to be part of the written record. Thanks...thewhop

BTT..............

I agree with the whop 100 percent. The special use area preferred alternative is the best way to handle the issues at Kasilof. Finally a state agency is helping and we should support this effort. There are some who want no regulations and that is unfortunate but if we want fisheries, wildlife, and users we need to take some actions. This is a good start and as Whop notes - regulations will be debated in a separate process. This just allows the debate to take place and a decision maker to make a decision. We have been lacking that for a long time.

One more time.... BTT.....................

OK, I lied, one more time, one more time. BTT..................