Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a fur hat maker...

Default Looking for a fur hat maker...

I want to make a Trapper hat with Sea Otters. Does anybody have a good hat maker contact information? I would like them to be in Alaska.

Yes

http://alaskaspiritcrafts.com/

She does amazing work and is or was a form member under the name "wolfwoman" she frequents the wilderness trapping section on trapper man daily. Her prices are great too especially if you provide the fur!

Thanks for the fast reply I will check out the site.

Annie and todd Fritze from Dillingham do very good work and fare priced. Contact at fritze5@nushtel.net
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Wolfwoman does great work! Two thumbs up.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

also check with shirley speer of Healy.. email at speeralaska@yahoo.com.. i have known her and her family for years. in fact was just holding one of her otter hats at the gun show here in Fbk this afternoon..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    also check with shirley speer of Healy.. email at speeralaska@yahoo.com.. i have known her and her family for years. in fact was just holding one of her otter hats at the gun show here in Fbk this afternoon..
    +1 for Shirley, I was with Vince and her otter and beaver hats were very well made.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

+3 for Bonnie "wolfwoman"
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Annie and todd Fritze from Dillingham do very good work and fare priced. Contact at fritze5@nushtel.net
    Very good work, but I wouldn't send fur. Have them make a seal/sea otter one....IS THE BEST!!

Bonnie does GREAT work with YOUR fur though!! have stuff done by her as well
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Get ahold of Flossie at http://www.polarpeople.com/
    PC gag in place.

yahoody Pm sent
    Alaskan 22 and Blue thunder thanks for the referrals
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I personally have one of Otterman's seal/sea otter hats. LOVE IT. My buddy loved mine so much he bought one for him and one for the misses. They are THAT nice.

Wolfwoman has made hats from my own fur and I appreciate them. They are nice. Not "furrier" nice, but nice and very practical (and reasonable prices).
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    I personally have one of Otterman's seal/sea otter hats. LOVE IT. My buddy loved mine so much he bought one for him and one for the misses. They are THAT nice.

Wolfwoman has made hats from my own fur and I appreciate them. They are nice. Not "furrier" nice, but nice and very practical (and reasonable prices).
    What's that mean Alaskan? LOL!!

Probably because I sew by hand and most use a machine.

I appreciate all the good comments directed my way! Haven't been on here in awhile, and since then I've written a book on sewing hats.
    If it can be made from fur, I can make it!!
    Custom hats, mittens & more from your fur or mine!
    www.alaskaspiritcrafts.com

There are a couple of things you should ask when looking for a good furrier. Are your furs garment tanned and are your furs hand sewn or machine sewn. There is no comparison between a fur sewn with a fur machine and one sewn by hand. If you are going to have anything made out of your fur, have it machine sewn, it will never come apart. Also, remember that your fur needs to be garment tanned, not taxidermy tanned. There is a big difference. Moyle Mink down in Idaho does some outstanding garment tanning.
    One of the best furriers in the country is Don Clifford in CO. If you ever get down to the National Western Stock Show, stop by Dons booth, it is amazing to see all the furs.

b

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    There are a couple of things you should ask when looking for a good furrier. Are your furs garment tanned and are your furs hand sewn or machine sewn. There is no comparison between a fur sewn with a fur machine and one sewn by hand. If you are going to have anything made out of your fur, have it machine sewn, it will never come apart. Also, remember that your fur needs to be garment tanned, not taxidermy tanned. There is a big difference. Moyle Mink down in Idaho does some outstanding garment tanning.
    So, you're disrespecting 100s of generations of skin sewers that sew by hand? Including myself? I've been sewing fur for almost 15 years and in all that time I've had THREE complaints, none of them related to my items coming apart! The difference is that one is faster than the other and requires a machine, and that's about it. I own a Fur Machine, but I rarely use it because I live off grid and it requires me to use the genny for ONLY the fur machine - it pulls a lot of power. When I lived on grid I used it all the time and there was no difference in the quality of my work compared to my hand sewing.

I guess I'm confused as to how you interpret my post as disrespecting anyone. I'm stating a fact that a seam sewn together with a fur machine using 30-40 stitches per inch is stronger then a seam sewn together with 4,5 or 6 stitches per inch. Simple fact, no disrespect implied or suggested towards anyone.

I guess I'm confused as to how you interpret my post as disrespecting anyone. I'm stating a fact that a seam sewn together with a fur machine using 30-40 stitches per inch is stronger then a seam sewn together with 4,5 or 6 stitches per inch. Simple fact, no disrespect implied or suggested towards anyone.
    Are you a furrier?

"It will never come apart" suggests that hand sewn items WILL come apart, don't you think? IMO that's a bit disrespectful.

And just so you know, those 30-40 stitches per inch can also make the fur tear in exactly those places where all those little tiny holes are, whereas a hand sew garment will not do this.

There's no reason not to promote your friend, but don't just disregard an entire culture of tradition just because you assume technology is better. Sometimes it's not always the case.

In 30 years of sewing fur, I've never once had a single item returned that had been sewn by a machine. Every single item I've ever been given to FIX has been sewn by hand. If you knew how a machine sews fur, you would know that your statement that the leather might tear in that area is rediculous. It can't tear, just by the way it is sewn. I'm afraid you have no idea what you are talking about. There's nothing wrong with sewing by hand. Just don't try to convince anyone that it is in any way a superior method of sewing fur.

Let me start by saying I have seen people do some really stupid things with fur hats and mittens. Also let me say that my wife has been sewing fur in traditional Yupik Eskimo methods since she was a child and we have been married 32 yrs. I'm not going to say that hand sewing is better or worse than using a machine but I will say that there is something about traditional ways. I have 5 fur hats all are hand sewn I have 5 because I am spoiled and since I trap for a living and give my wife all the fur to sew with I get what I want so kinda like choosing a shirt in the morning I choose a hat I have seen crappy fur sewing both with a machine and by hand some in part due to tanning methods other in part because some people just don't care about the product they make or are still learning. Like I said people do stupid things with their hats and stuff as well I have seen them saturated in rain then hung over a hot wood stove or in a boiler room that is 90 degrees to dry it's leather guys you do that to it very many times and it isn't going to be good, it doesn't matter if this item was made on a machine or by hand. For those using a machine or those sewing by hand to say one way or the other is superior is kinda ridiculous. Both sewn properly and taken care of properly can last a life time my first fur hat was made for me 32 yrs ago my first mittens ( which I am responsible for destroying) lasted 25 yrs were sucked up into the track of the snow machine a few times left laying on the tundra more than once and finally retired when the voltage regulator fried and melted the hand warmers on the snow machine in the palms on a -40 moose hunt.
    Ultimately it is more about who produced the item and the time and effort and care put into the item to do it right that will get you a superior product whether it is done by hand or on a machine. Every year at the AFN convention my wife has customers who only want hand sewn items I am sure there are some who only want machine sewn everyone has their reasons. I know people who fall into both catagories in the sewing world who I would consider masters at what they do but trying to argue that one is better than the other is like the age old argument of mitten making on which way is proper for the fur to run up towards the finger tips or down towards the wrist. It all depends on where you live and what your weather conditions are like as to which way is really best and what you think is right but that is a whole other argument that we aren't getting into as some of it is also cultural. SO in closing I would think that like everything else in the fur world we better work together to maintain what we have rather than have some petty argument about whos way is best and while we are busy bickering everyone loose in the end. It is the same with different forms of hunting remember there are people out there who disagree with what we do for enjoyment of how some of us make our living and watching out for them should really be what is important
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

In 30 years of sewing fur, I've never once had a single item returned that had been sewn by a machine. Every single item I've ever been given to FIX has been sewn by hand. If you knew how a machine sews fur, you would know that your statement that the leather might tear in that area is rediculous. It can't tear, just by the way it is sewn. I'm afraid you have no idea what you are talking about. There's nothing wrong with sewing by hand. Just don't try to convince anyone that it is in any way a superior method of sewing fur.
    Then we have the opposite experience because everything that I've had to FIX has been machine sewn over the past 15 years.

You obviously are not reading my posts because now you're telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about, when I already SAID that I OWN a fur machine (a Bonis) and on MORE than one occasion when I've sewn thinner types furs (fox, lynx, etc) that the lines of holes that it created with all those tiny stitches, made it tear when I put even the SLIGHTEST amount of stress on it.

I never said that sewing by hand was superior, YOU were the one trying to state that machine sewing was better, I'm just pointing out that you're disrespecting people that work their art in a traditional way by saying what you have.

Did you ever think that the hand sewn items you've had to fix were by someone that was just starting out that didn't quite yet know what they were doing?

As I said, in 15 years I've never had one of MY items come back for falling or coming apart. The 3 complaints were: It was too big (after they asked for a certain size, so I fixed it), it was the wrong style for them (really - that's what they asked for!), and one of the paracord tie strings came unraveled at the end and they wanted new ones.

It is your opinion that machine sewing is better, and I say that it's up to the customer what they want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast