Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang, wanted to go out this weekend.. How long is Whittier boating viable?

Default Dang, wanted to go out this weekend.. How long is Whittier boating viable?

Dang, really wanted to go out this weekend and get some bottom fishing in but the weather precluded it:

400 AM AKDT SAT OCT 2 2010

...GALE WARNING TODAY AND SUNDAY...

.TODAY...SE WIND 45 KT DIMINISHING TO 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS
    8 FT SUBSIDING TO 4 FT IN THE AFTERNOON. RAIN.
    .TONIGHT...SE WIND 20 KT BECOMING E 30 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 4 FT
    BUILDING TO 7 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT. RAIN.
    .SUN...E WIND 35 KT. SEAS 9 FT. RAIN.
    .SUN NIGHT...SE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

How long in the season is boating out of Whittier viable?
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

All winter. I was out over Thanksgiving and had a great time. Got some ducks and crab. One thing you need to watch is a lot of my normal anchorages freeze up in the winter which can make it difficult to find spots to tuck and hide.

How do you get down the ramp?
    "Dominion"

The city does a pretty good job of keeping the ramp clear. Chains, 4 low and make sure you're perfectly straight in case it breaks loose.

We are holding out for another weekend, hopefully the weather will improve. It is downright nasty looking out there this weekend. Thing is itís really a crap shoot and I donít want to be covering up the boat for winter with snow coming down. A guy really needs covered storage of some kind so you can be ready for nice weather. Donít really have a problem pulling the boat on ice, did that hauling it up from WA 3 winters ago.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

another low moving in after this one.

my recommendation is to always read the weather forecast discussion on NOAA's website (i just enter my zipcode, but any in SC will do as it's all the same forecast discussion. scroll down for the link). Not that I do this every single day but most days I do. Usually they post a forecast discussion twice a day, once around 5 am and once in mid-late afternoon. There is a lot of technical jargon but continue reading it and eventually you pick up on half of what they're talking about. After a while doing this, you will be much more familiar with the difference betweenshort-term / long-term predictions, and you will know when they are confident about the future, and when they have no clue.

General synopsis for this time of year: low or trough (elongated low) in southcentral = no go, high or ridge (elongated high)= maybe go, depending on how rapidly another low as approaching.

Current call is for another low to move into the gulf more or less right after this one moves out. Current low is remnants of an old typhoon. hence the reason it is so strong. Next one probably won't be as bad but still make things exciting out there. There may well be another one after that. As far as they can see (not very far) this pattern looks to stick around.

Good news is we won't see substantial snow as long as things keep crashing in from the gulf.

If you ever have questions about the forecast terminology, post them, makes for interesting discussion.

-andrew

I have been stuck out in the sound for a week before during october and still had to come back in less than desirable weather

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    How do you get down the ramp?
    you know there are not gonna be a bunch of guys out there when you have to get the loader guy to put you in and pull you out. I think 2 years ago it was $100 each way! when you learn your chained up limitations, like all 4 tires chained up and spinning forward as you are still going backwards down the ramp, that danged loader seems well worth it. Shoveling snow
    off the bow so you can try to see over it to spot deer eating kelp, priceless!

Something else to consider is freezing spray. Also if you have to hold up in a bay somewhere and a big dump of snow comes, be ready. Not as many boats out there in the winter time................

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    you know there are not gonna be a bunch of guys out there when you have to get the loader guy to put you in and pull you out. I think 2 years ago it was $100 each way! when you learn your chained up limitations, like all 4 tires chained up and spinning forward as you are still going backwards down the ramp, that danged loader seems well worth it. Shoveling snow
    off the bow so you can try to see over it to spot deer eating kelp, priceless!
    I got the warm fuzzys from that last sentence

Excellent thread!!! I've been meaning to ask the same thing myself. I'm retired so I don't mind getting stuck in a nice bay for awhile. Especially if there are a few ducks or deer around. I've had to deal with my anchorage area freezing hard on Kodiak all the way till January, the end of the deer season. That can get dangerous when the whole area breaks loose and you better get your anchor up, or turn it loose, or get torn apart. You can't fight it. I'm getting my chains this week, and if that's not enough I've got other trucks that can chain up and help. And another thing to think about is your nice anchorage in the lee of the wind, may get savage williwaws, that's another story, them things can be pretty scary, and you can't just up and move, you're already in the "spot", it only gets worse. See you out there.....I'm going!

Heres my quandary. Where do you leave your boat in Whittier when you're not using it? It can snow enough to pretzel the hardiest of trailers over night. The city will gouge the heck out of you if you leave it by the Harbor Masters office. I guess a guy could chum up w/ Joe Shen and park it at the Anchor Bar. Whats up? Any solutions? Does anybody know of indoor storage in Whittier?

Charterboat Operator

after checking into what it costs to keep the boat in the harbor I have just trailered mine back and forth to Anch. that at times is almost as like going down the ramp! yikes! but after talking about transient fees,power hookups,boat watch,insurance fees, timing the fuel dock to be open. would be interesting to know if there was some place there that you could back the boat into and have some one watch it for like the month of November.

Welp I'm heading down to Whittier tomorrow. I'll be swinging by 10thM for a tote of ice and some bait. The good Lord willing, the weather will be favorable and the deer will be prancing about! I'll be dragging the boat home on Monday so don't be honking when I'm holding up traffic on Eagle River hill. Hopefully I'll be here to report a boastful hunt and smooth tow home monday night.

You guys are frigging crazy ... LOL ... If I did not have to pay attention to the business to get me through the winter .... I just might go for an other trip late into the season, can be a great experience, pay attention to the risks, weather can get really nasty ... don't let anything but ... FEAR AND COMMOMN SENSE stand in your way, have fun!!!

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 40190definitly stay out of hidden bay when it gets down in the 20S!! BRRRRRRR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewey 260 View Post
    The city does a pretty good job of keeping the ramp clear. Chains, 4 low and make sure you're perfectly straight in case it breaks loose.
    Man, that sounds like that could easily turn into a lot more excitement than I would want to deal with. I think I'm done for the year.
    "Dominion"

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by maast View Post
    man, that sounds like that could easily turn into a lot more excitement than i would want to deal with. I think i'm done for the year.
    chicken

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    chicken
    bawk bawk
    "Dominion"

Default to spot deer eating kelp

Love it for filling unused tags from early season. Now I just need a tub bigger than my open skiff to do it from.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast