Thread: Advice on planning a Moose float hunt

Question Advice on planning a Moose float hunt

I am trying to plan an '08 moose float hunt and am looking for some advice and guidance. I would appreciate any recommendations on a repuatable, trustworthy outfitter who could put together a fully outfitted moose float hunt and get us out to an area that is not heavily floated and hunted. Past the areas the air taxis, outfitters and DIY guys have easy access to. I know that in todays Alaska this may be a tall order but I am looking for suggestions. Also would it be smarter for a group of four, who all want a moose, to seperate into two groups and float, camp and hunt seperately from each other or to stay together? Which method presents the most realistic opportunity to get four moose over the course of a 14 day trip? I would appreciate any info those of you knowledgable in this area could provide.

Default Moose Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by aztoak View Post
    I am trying to plan an '08 moose float hunt and am looking for some advice and guidance. I would appreciate any recommendations on a repuatable, trustworthy outfitter who could put together a fully outfitted moose float hunt and get us out to an area that is not heavily floated and hunted. Past the areas the air taxis, outfitters and DIY guys have easy access to. I know that in todays Alaska this may be a tall order but I am looking for suggestions. Also would it be smarter for a group of four, who all want a moose, to seperate into two groups and float, camp and hunt seperately from each other or to stay together? Which method presents the most realistic opportunity to get four moose over the course of a 14 day trip? I would appreciate any info those of you knowledgable in this area could provide.
    A few things to consider on this. First of all, moose numbers in Alaska are on a nearly statewide decline. Second, if you are all nonresidents, each of you will have to shoot a bull with a 50-inch spread or better (or with three or four brow tines on at least one side, depending on the area). All this is to say that it's unlikely that a party of four hunters will take four moose. It's not impossible, but not likely either.

Next, the only person that can offer you a fully outfitted hunt, by the state's definition of "outfitting" is someone who holds a registered guide license. I hold such a license and have been helping hunters like yourselves for over fifteen years. Whether you're looking for a little help finding an area, equipment rental, help running rafts, or any level of direct assistance in the field, I can do that for you.

Feel free to drop me a line and let't talk.

Best Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

If the fed subsistance board opens unit 18 this spring, then give papa bear adventures in Bethel a call. There will be no antler restriction in unit 18 if you can hunt there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for the info. My initial thought was that our chance for success would be greater with only two hunters and that it may be in our best interest to seperate or even do seprate trips. The difficulty we are having is finding outfitters who will get us far enough out and still meet our needs, ie: all rafting and camping equipment, food and air transporter. Mike, I had ordered your book and was looking forward to reading it with the hope of getting more insight. We are avid hunters, in good shape and are not afraid to get after it. We hunt hard here in the western states and have hunted caribou in AK, but the float hunting thing is new to us. I will contact you to get more info.

Default Offer to help-

Quote Originally Posted by aztoak View Post
    Thanks for the info. My initial thought was that our chance for success would be greater with only two hunters and that it may be in our best interest to seperate or even do seprate trips. The difficulty we are having is finding outfitters who will get us far enough out and still meet our needs, ie: all rafting and camping equipment, food and air transporter. Mike, I had ordered your book and was looking forward to reading it with the hope of getting more insight. We are avid hunters, in good shape and are not afraid to get after it. We hunt hard here in the western states and have hunted caribou in AK, but the float hunting thing is new to us. I will contact you to get more info.
    Arizona-

I should mention that regardless of whether we end up doing business together or not, I'm still available to help in any way I can. Even if it's just over the phone. Drop me a private message and let's get together-

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default 4 bulls

That is a pretty tall order, I think I would lower my expectations. You will need a great area to hunt a lot of luck & a very strong will to do it.
    Imho you would do well to split up into 2 groups & float or leap frog if the others want to go first. You will see more by operating as 2 groups. One thing is moose are big critters & sometimes the interest can dwindle after the 1st 1 or 2 are down. I would hope for one & call it good. You can always come back next year. Lots to consider 14days long time out there

But if you guys are set on it I would give Larry Bartlett a look www.pristineventures.com