Thread: Summer bear protection and moose hunting rifle?

Default Summer bear protection and moose hunting rifle?

I may be lucky enough to spend next summer fishing with a buddy in Alaska, perhaps a moose hunt in the Fall and possible sheep hunt. Any advice on what single Rifle would be best to bring along that would work for all?

I had good luck with my Winchester Extreme Weather chambered in 325WSM this year, although about any 30 cal would serve you well.
    Good ammo and good shot placement is the key. I used 200 Grain Accubonds hand loaded with RL17.

My Blackie shot @ 200 yards.

My Buddies Grizzly, helped anchor this one.

Brooks Sheep first shot 300 yards last 427 yards.

Bull Moose about 30 yards. Shot in neck, bullet went in the neck through the body cavity and out the ribs. Bull fell in his tracks.

Good luck and good shooting.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Glad you are bringing the .325 to Kodiak Stid. As you will be on bear protection duty with our .308s in tow.

I would say Stid proved his choise and as he stated any 30cal you shoot well will work
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Glad you are bringing the .325 to Kodiak Stid. As you will be on bear protection duty with our .308s in tow.
    I hope we can avoid Mr Fuzzy pants, DLP paperwork would be a bummer for sure. Don't want no trouble, but if they insist I will be ready....

Steve
    Founding Member

Steve, GREAT pictures! I can't wait!

Would a 30-06 be good enough? Remington Core-lokts?
    This BIG Alaska stuff is all new to me.

30-06 is plenty big enough, so long as you shoot it well. As far as Core-lokts, well...I'd suggest something more along the lines of a Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Barnes TSX or the old reliable Nosler Partition. If you're looking for a little more oomph from the '06 (not really necessary IMO) you could consider the Federal High Energy ammo.
    Gun-Steuerung arbeitet für uns!
    (let us not repeat history...)

As others have said... most .30 cal and up rifles would be fine and I like the .300s if you luck into a sheep tag.

Bear protection is an unlikely requirement but an '06 or .300 at spitting distance is generally effective.

Quote Originally Posted by milspec01a View Post

Would a 30-06 be good enough? Remington Core-lokts?
    This BIG Alaska stuff is all new to me.
    Both these critters could testify to the .30-'06/Core-Lokt combo. If that's what you're comfortable with, it'll be plenty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Stid - Which Zeiss is that on your Modeil 70?

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Stid - Which Zeiss is that on your Modeil 70?
    My scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 with a RadipZ600 Reticle.

Steve
    Founding Member

You said "bear protection" and "moose hunting rifle" in the same sentence. I'm the world's biggest fan of the great .30s (that's what I carry) but it's not a bear protection rifle. It's better than a lot of things but not "best" for what you're describing, particularly with the fishing thrown in. Your favorite big bore medium length barrel would serve better for that. So there, you've been given all the reason to buy a new gun! (tell your wife the "experts said so" so that you won't end up bear poop!)

'course the other thing is just to go out hunting/fishing in 3's. Read somewhere a while ago that bears have never (except camp locations) attacked groups of 3 or more. Not sure how true that is, but can't find any google-fu info that states otherwise.
    That said one did get mighty PO'd when my family of 5 hiked into it's patch!
    Although not done the moose, sheep or goat yet as I still have a few months before that magic 12months as an AK resident and my permits/tags get affordable. I plan to take the Guide gun everywhere as my carry and then pack an '06. I have a CVA single shot I picked up for next to nought just because it was cheap! It breaks down easy, is very light, but what a tack driver. That is the way I will go. If I can get in to use 45-70 I will, if I see (and more likely) a longer shot, it will take me less than a mininute to have the CVA on target. That's the plan anyway.
    Some would say, why carry 2 rifles when one will do, those same people are probably carry an SW500 or similar as a sidearm - about the same weight as my Guide Gun or '06!!
    Just that if "bear" or "griz" is anywhere on the hunt agenda, then I put my faith in the 1895 Guide. That's Just me though.

Get a 30-06 with some good iron sights on it. When moose season comes put a Leupold VX3 in 2.5 x 8 on it. I would prefer a 200 or 220 grain bullet such as a Nosler Partition or Swift A Frame for the summer bear protection rifle load. If you don't load your own then go buy some factory 180 grain Barnes X ammo and use it for everything. The 30-06 with the right bullet is good bear protection and a good moose round. Always has been and always will be. Since you have some time look for a used Mod. 70 Win. Featherweight with controlled round feed and the old style trigger. They hold 5 rounds in the magazine, beats having to reload in a hurry.

A rifle caliber adequate for moose and bear hunting could be as light as .308 or even 30-30, if shooting at 100 yds., but once you factor in defense against brown bear, the ante goes up. You may have to deal with short range, and maybe bullet construction and placement aren't the only considerations, when shooting at 20 yds. in two seconds?

So what type of rifle do guides use on bear hunts just as back-up? I think they like the short barrel, heavy bullet calibers, probably in at least .338. Gun I bought from a guide was a BAR in .338. What caliber does Alaska Fish and Game use in the field? The .375 H & H. What type of self-defense gun is recommended for stream fishing in bear country? Maybe a .350 Remington Magnum or 45-70.

BTW, what the professionals all seem to say is that your familiarity and self-assurance in the use of your rifle is important, so you're supposed to get in a lot of practice with it. Good Luck.

To the question of bears attacking groups more than 3; it does happen but very infrequently. Occurred several years ago in Cordova to a friend and colleague in the Forest Service. If memory serves, she killed on bear that attacked two of the party of 5 or so with a 12 gauge. Not much fun shooting at a moving animal and in-between party members. Only the bear died.

Party of 3? I alway heard 6.