Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not exactly a canoe................?

Default Not exactly a canoe................?

But pretty cool anyway, I bought this yesterday for 200 bucks, 30 foot with a 7 foot beam.
    Not sure what I will do with it yet............?
    It was a military boat and I am sure there is some interesting history, Does anyone know anything about it?
    Its need some repairs, but could be serviceable w/o too much effort, I am sure it would haul a heck of a load.......................

“Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Very cool!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

That is very cool.. bet it will look awesome restored... dang 30 ft though... looks really stable..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Tracy just pointed out how much it looks like a Viking boat, bet she preforms stuningly well in a variety of waters!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

not a bad oversize canoe, will carry a lot of junk for trips, Put a motor on it an go, if you are on big water it will be a blast an not bad on gas with a 4 stroke motor
    """"need a suport under middle seat"""" '[ it is missing ] what type of coating in on the hull canvas or fiber glass, what do you have on the keel of your rig ?

The outside has been fiberglassed over and is coming loose in a few spots, I did not look to see if it has any type of a keel?
    I have not picked the boat (canoe?) up yet, so will have to examine more thourghly once it is at my shop.
    It is in need of some repair in afew sopts, nothing too bad, but who knows maybe it will be better suited for a Viking fguneral once I really look it over. Would sure like to know the rest of the story............has to be some history.....................?
    TR

been searching for an hour at least and am not coming up with anything... the production could have just been a local outsourcing for a small number of immediate need boats? ?? But I cant find anything on them, I was looking because I saw 2 more of them in the pictures and got my gears turning...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I see three more in the first picture! Yup very cool find and I'm interested in the history. Are the others also $200.00?
    Afflicted by condition human

I think I saw those off Badger road in the old lot they are clearing. I would bet that thing will haul a monster of a load, have seen similar craft used on rivers overseas. Should make a cool winter project.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

keep us posted on what you do to it, an any thing you find out about it,

thanks SID

That new giant canoe gets the juices flowing..!!!
    what an incredible find..
    it looks from the pictures to be well made and has a nice looking design..
    I bet with a set of Oars on it,, or may be more.. it would row nicely..
    Like Sid said..
    keep us posted..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I'm betting those were boats used to make temporary bridges. They needed to be motorable, and have a pointed bow to point into the current. Just a guess.

There are more for sale: http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/boa/1982762832.html

I learned from a friend of mind that he had spotted them on the Yukon years ago, talked to the GI's and
    was told the military used them for reconnaissance on the Yukon and possibly the Tanana.
    Apperently they were based out of Greely as there was someone there that mantained them and made repairs.

Also said they were loaded very heavy and the guys commented they were "hell for stout", thought they may have had a 40 horse motor on them? The fiberglass appears to be quite substansial and I suspect this is a heavy boat.

I am starting to get some ideas, will keep everyone posted as things develop...............Still yearning for more info...............?
    TR

What a steal! 200$, a guy can spend that in an hour at the bar....
    That rig must have one heck of a shallow draft. I bet 4 guys, 4 moose, gear, ATV, you name, load her up and she'll beg for more.
    How come you didn't pick up that old SAAB in the background?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

That looks like the Fort Greely boats......GIs practiced running the local rivers with em....a long retired GI here told stories of going down the Tanana and up the Yukon to Circle....I'll try to find out who constructed these boats.

[QUOTE=Yukoner;813298]What a steal! 200$, a guy can spend that in an hour at the bar....
    That rig must have one heck of a shallow draft. I bet 4 guys, 4 moose, gear, ATV, you name, load her up and she'll beg for more.
    How come you didn't pick up that old SAAB in the background?[/QUOTE

If it only had a roof rack...................!
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    That looks like the Fort Greely boats......GIs practiced running the local rivers with em....a long retired GI here told stories of going down the Tanana and up the Yukon to Circle....I'll try to find out who constructed these boats.

Looking forward to what ever you can learn, I told my wife this boat has "Historical significance",..............MER......
    TR

Default huge!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    I bet with a set of Oars on it,, or may be more.. it would row nicely..
    Row it hell, I'd put a 50 horse 4 stroke on it and GO!

Do you suppose it might be "rated" for hauling about 2 tons? That's my guess.

Please keep posting more pictures on this as you get it going. Very cool.

If those boats are as old as I think they may be, it would be a real good idea to test the planking for rot, even if the boat looks good. It doesn't take long for rot to develop, especially behind fiberglass. Is it sheathed in glass overlay, or is it caulked?

I think 2 tons is about right,

It is completely glassed over not caulked, there are a few spots that obviously need repair.
    The plan is take off any loose fiberglass, where there is rot I will have to remove completely so I can repair/replace the bad planks.
    Once I get started I will find out just how thick the fiberglass is?

Excited about getting into it but could be a while before I get time.

Been thinking about a cabin, maybe 8-10 foot long, located in the middle of the boat, gunnel to gunnel, but leave enough of the gunnel; to walk around. Probably not standing height inside? So you can see over the top from the back, 2 bunks, 1 on each side. Steering station on the back side. Maybe just fore & aft bulkhead, so to speak, and canvas top to keep it light and on a nice day you could open it up to air it out good.

Just thinking at this point..........
    TR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast