Thread: success without notching my tag

Default success without notching my tag

It was 2 days before the end of the FMA early season and I got off work at 6 pm and drove out to an area i knew had some moose. While walking along the edge of a clearing I saw a leg of a moose about 70 yards away, as I watched the cow cross the trail I started count 2, 3 ,4, 5, bull, he wasnt the real big approx 30 inches. I let out some small grunts, and the cows started bellowing, I let out some more grunts and some soft brush thrashing. the moose then walked towards the edge of the clearing 45 yards away and fed, the bull was 50 yards and would not come any closer, I needed to gain 20 yards (hunting with my recurve). I slowly moved foward making small grunts and the moose slowly walked back in the brush. I circled to try and get in front of them and I lost them in a thicket or so I thought. when sudenly a cow walked past me at 20 yards. I thought oh yeah the bull will follow, I was ready arrow knocked, picking my lane, and then out popped the bull at 40-45 yards. I grunted and was like dam wish i brought the compound bow hahhahahahaah then over my right shoulder I heard 3 soft grunts and branches breaking. Getting dark fast, when another bull came walking down the trail and walked into the spruce trees, I grunted and the moose came back towards me to just under 10 yards, its pretty dark now and I cant pick out antlers, then I seen the spruce trees to my front start swaying, I pivoted around brush and had a moose butt about 10 yards away, and now its dark, no chance for an ethical shot, so I backed off and was going to be back at 1st light. Keep in mind i walked into the area at about 645 pm and was into moose until I backed away at 830 pm.
    Met Vince on the road the next morning and we headed in. For the next 2 days tried to find that group with no luck. What I did find was the tree the moose rubbed right in front of me, I was closer then I thought i was.
    I didnt get to fill the tag but what a great experience, a total thrill and adreniline rush, calling in and messing with moose at close range.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    . What I did find was the tree the moose rubbed right in front of me, I was closer then I thought i was.
    I didnt get to fill the tag but what a great experience, a total thrill and adreniline rush, calling in and messing with moose at close range.
    hey i think i still have those hairs in my pocket LOL yeah it was a pretty cool sight all that sign in there.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Exciting hunt thanks for sharing
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

"success without notching my tag" is how I feel about moose hunting this year. Although I only hunted with the rifle this year, I'll be back to bow hunting next year, and hopefully the bull that trashed this tree will have another brow tine.

She came in to some calling the last day of the season.