Thread: 300 win mag

Default 300 win mag

i have been looking a pools of hunters that killed moose showing how many moose taken with what caliber and how long did it take the moose to die and how far it go.
    one this i dident understand is that the 300 win mag had the shartest distance after the shot with 24m but it had the higher shot taken with 1.9 even the 308 win had 1.4 shots and 270 had 1.6. one thing i never got was that withe the higher velocity dose more damage to the vital organs causing quicker kills. so is a 300 win mag better then the 338 win mag for moose? and if u can can u show me pics of moose shot buy the 300 and 338 or any caliber to compare damage from animal to animal and ur opinion on speed vs slow and heavy.

They both kill moose a whole lot of dead. In fact they kill them all the way dead with consistency! The real key is the guy behind the rifle.

Don't know how to answer your question... there's not really a good corrolation between caliber, velocity and how quick a critter expires. Too many variables to consider in the equation including the individual animal. Safe to say that any reasonable caliber with good shot placement will kill moose very dead but even a well shot moose can wander about for what seems like an eternity.

A caliber that anchored moose on the spot every time? If it existed we'd all be toting it!

Wow...another caliber thread...and requesting comparison kill pics?
    Sheesh.
    No dis intended, Lui, but shoot it where it you are supposed to and it will die. A 300wm is a lot of gun if it is aimed right.

There are volumes of info on this in the archives....
    Proud to be an American!

Luiss you are trying too hard to figure something out that has no answer!
    You could shoot 100 moose with either caliber gun in the same place and they would likely drop dead in 100 different places...
    338 / 300 doesn't matter which one - just make sure you try for a good angle into the vitals when taking the shot....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I shoot a 300 WM, got a 42 inch moose last year. One shot, with 180 grain fusion bullets did the trick, moose went 10 feet and piled up. Best advice, spend some time at the range. Good Hunting!