Thread: Hewescraft 22' Ocean Pro ET /Suzuki 140

Default Hewescraft 22' Ocean Pro ET /Suzuki 140

Just purchased a 2006 Hewescraft 22' Ocean Pro with ET. The 2009 Suzuki 140 hp motor has 60 hours on it. The motor has a tendency to readily "cavitate" while trimming and I feel that the motor needs to be mounted one notch lower on the transome which I will do this spring. It runs great and the good thing is that it still has a 5 year transferrable warranty left on it.

Now the question: The boat presently has a 4 bladed 17 pitch prop on it. With three people on board and half tanks the boat does 23 mph at 4800 rpm on slick water. 33 at 6200 RPM. Seems like a lot of RPM for the speeds indicated. I'm going to go to the THREE bladed 17 pitch prop first and then try a 19 pitch three bladed prop. The 17 pitch will allow the motor to turn 6200 which the top number for the motor for maximum horsepower.

Does anyone out there had any information regarding my motor/prop/boat configuration?

Congratulations on the new boat. 33 mph does not sound unreasonable for that setup, IMO. When propping a boat you want to make sure that you are reaching the upper ranges of the recommended RPMs stated by the manufacturer. Suzuki recommends 5600-6200 RPMs. You could experiment with an 18" or 19" 4-blade to drop your maximum RPM's 200-400.

I was looking at suzuki's website and it doesn't appear that they make a 4-blade for that motor. Are you running an aftermarket prop? Stainless or aluminum?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Also check the level of the motor's anti-cavitation plate in relation to the hull; I believe it should be about a 1/2" or so below the hull, could also check w/Hewescraft on the proper position.
    A 3 blade prop typically gets you higher top end speeds in comparison to 4 blade props.

I have a 140 on riverboat with a lift, put the prop on this spring for fooling around in K-bay. I had some cavation with the lift fully lowered. So I then installed a permatrim plate. Seemed to help hold the water over the prop w/o blowout, and I didnt have to lower the motor.
    It may help getting on step faster, not that that was a problem.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

It's an aftermarket aluminum prop... Came on the motor when purchased. I also have a 3 bladed 17 pitch prop that also came with the boat.

The SS props get more rpm's in any outboard, and 3 blades will get more than 4 as well. A 19 pitch SS in my experience gets the same RPM's as a 17" aluminum. Doesn't take long to lower the outboard if that is the case.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Keep in mind that lowering your motor will usually lower your RPMs. Switching from a 4 blade prop to a 3 blade prop of the same pitch will raise your RPMs. A 17 pitch 4 blade should turn roughly the same RPM as an 18 pitch 3 blade of the same material. I would do one thing at a time and track the results of each change. 4 blades usually offer better holeshot and midrange where 3 blade props are better for top end. Cupping will sometimes help with ventilation. Good luck.

I am running a 19 pitch, cupped prop that Suzuki had come out with the last few years. Way better performance than the standard 15 or 17 pitch. Gained 3-4 knots. As with any boat, props ain't cheap.