Thread: more Chessi problems.... Guardia??? in dogs what are the symptoms

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default more Chessi problems.... Guardia??? in dogs what are the symptoms

Ol boy is ralphing up some serious stuff all of a sudden and not sure some is not coming from the other end too... he does have apt with the vet, but that is a hole endeavor in itself with him... he must be muzzled and shock collard to allow the vet near him... ( yeah he hates the vet and it shows)

anyway.. he has spent a fair amount of time out with us this fall on the claim playing in the ponds and creeks.. LOTS of wildlife and beaver in the water.. even though Guardia has little to actually do with beaver.

all in all he is in good spirits but cant hold anything in.. just trying to narrow down some ideas before spending tons for exploration at the vets office.. course if they try to charge to much i can always remove the muzzle
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

sorry to hear your boy isn't doing well....

Any possibility he ate something he can't digest? like a sock or ?????
    pretty sure giardia and other type illnesses are accompanied by fever too? if he is feeling otherwise fine, I'd have to wonder if it was bacterial or viral in nature or not....but then, I am NO vet!

It sucks you have to make the trip to the vet so uncomfortable for him.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tuffboots View Post
    sorry to hear your boy isn't doing well....

Any possibility he ate something he can't digest? like a sock or ?????
    pretty sure giardia and other type illnesses are accompanied by fever too? if he is feeling otherwise fine, I'd have to wonder if it was bacterial or viral in nature or not....but then, I am NO vet!

It sucks you have to make the trip to the vet so uncomfortable for him.

Juli
    not sure on that one.. i thought about the rocks he plays with all the time too... as for the vet, he has been that way since we adopted him. he must of had a bad experience in an office some where.. he nearly took a vets hand off last year when she tried to handle him.. i hate having them sedated for an exam and shots.. he is getting better since we got him i can introduce him to new folks all the time.. but soon as we walk in that " atmosphere" he is on guard.

as for feeling well.. his spirits are up, but it is obvious he is not feeling well. i thought about the Giardia as it has about a three week incubation period and labor day was when he headed out to the field with us this year.

he has been eating a lot of grass lately also. and my experience has been dogs do that to help the sour stomach?

this mornings mess was a dark splatter across the lino in the kitchen.. ( at least he keeps it off the carpet) with little odor so it was hard to determine which end it came from.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Here is some info on canine giardia. I am not sure the symptoms fit your description. My first read also had me suspecting a foreign body in his intestine but like the prior post I am no vet. I do deal a great deal with x-ray and depending on what material they can be hard to diagnose. Something cloth like a sock or rope doesn't necessarily show up on an xray without some sort of liquid contrast being ingested. $$$...

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/heal...and-prevention

An intestinal blockage can cause explosive "projectile" vomiting as well as diarrhea and generally the liberation of a large sum of money from the owners savings account...

http://www.petqna.com/dog/2941-2-dogs-3.html

I have heard of dogs getting blockages from eating grass - some of the coarser types of grass could get balled up in his gut....
    Probably the only way to determine what is bothering him is to get a fecal sample (if possible) and take him to the vet. Sorry he has to go through even more stress - not your fault, just the way it is. I do recall you got him as an adult and it is good that he is getting better about social experiences .

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

Vince,

The dog's problem is either a very simple upset stomach, or he may be in imminent danger of dieing. If you can't be sure he's had a bowl movement you'd better do something quick like. If he's got an obstruction it is very dangerous and it won't just go away. And I wouldn't suggest any heavy handed palpation of the gut to find an obstruction 'cause it can cause severe intestinal damage. Tough call, but I'd take your pal in to see the vet right away because it seems this has been going on for awhile now.

Best of luck to you and your pal. Please let us know how it worked out.

Jim

My vet has told me that every hunting season, she sees a increase in the number of dogs coming in with intestinal blockage. Most often it is a Bone/cartlidge they got into somehow. She does not approve of bones and scraps for dogs, unless the scraps are gone over carefully and cooked into a gruel. Even x-rays cannot be totally conclusive, sometimes exploratory surgery has to be employed. Spendy, them dogs.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

What you've described doesn't sound like guardia at all. It sounds exactly like an intestinal blockage and the surrounding circumstances support that as well (eating grass and rocks is very bad for dogs; I'd suggest training him to stop both activities). The dog needs to be at the vet today as this is a potentially life threatening emergency.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

another visit in the AM to the vet.. nothing yet, they have not ruled out a blockage as he has an old scar indicating one previously... but he is out and playing today.. even though each time he comes in, he is hawking his guts on the floor..

meet on face book here

Hope the vet properly diagnoses the problem & your Chessie is back to normal soon, Vince. When I've had dogs contract giardia, there seems to be a certain putrid odor & sliminess to what's come out of both ends. Not a vet, but sounds more like your dog has some obstruction of some sort. Heck, a friend's Chessie has been known to eat a pacifier & then later a 2" diameter rubber/plastic bushing -- $$$

Am sending positive thoughts your way.

Karen

just back from the Vet, so far the tests are indicating a sever bacterial infection in the intestines. he is not prone to eating rags, toys, etc. and the Slimy stuff is still there. so they have not ruled out Giardia as of yet also.. but we need a more solid stool to test for it i guess... as there is little distinguishing which end it comes from yet... his spirits are good.. was out playing with the kids fetching yesterday, just having bout's of not feeling well in between.. next appointment in two days.. we use Mt McKinley animal hospital off college they have a good staff i feel and have not led us wrong yet.. the good news is he is getting used to the vet and did not even rumble at her today.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    just back from the Vet, so far the tests are indicating a sever bacterial infection in the intestines. he is not prone to eating rags, toys, etc. and the Slimy stuff is still there. so they have not ruled out Giardia as of yet also.. but we need a more solid stool to test for it i guess... as there is little distinguishing which end it comes from yet... his spirits are good.. was out playing with the kids fetching yesterday, just having bout's of not feeling well in between.. next appointment in two days.. we use Mt McKinley animal hospital off college they have a good staff i feel and have not led us wrong yet.. the good news is he is getting used to the vet and did not even rumble at her today.

Glad to hear it is not likely a blockage! Also great to hear his frequent visits are helping him get over his dislike of going to the vet...hopefully the stomach/intestinal issue will improve quickly!

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

Vince,

Should've thought of this before, but my 2 1/2 yr. old Chessie had a similar thing in August -- the vet said excess, very bad bacteria in the intestines. Metronidazole & Prostara probiotic worked for her. She didn't act sick, maintained a high energy level, but bloody diarrhea then started vomiting, and dropped to 53 lbs. It's good to hear the vet trip wasn't so negative for your dog too! Please keep us posted.

Karen

How is your dog doing? Hope he's all better by now!