Thread: Forum browsing tricks?

Default Forum browsing tricks?

Ok, I read the forum too much probably but I have found ways to streamline it so I waste less time.

First I use the "whats new" feature. As I scroll through the list I find threads that appear to be interesting. If you click the blue circle next to the thread title then it opens the thread to the first unread post saving you time scrolling through the old posts. I use firefox which is a great browser and supports tabbed browsing. By using the right click ---->"open in new tab" feature I can open multiple interesting threads in new tabs while still viewing the whats new list. Doing this allows me to not waste time waiting for threads to load then having to reload the whats new page to find a new thread.

Another neat trick if you are using a wheel mouse is to hover over the blue circle and push down on the wheel (clickable wheel mouse required). This will auto-magically open the link in a new tab. Doing this I can quickly scan the list and open 5 or 6 threads with new posts at a time then by the time I am done scanning the list all the threads are open and ready to read.

I am sure there are other tricks to get the most out of the time people spend on the forum so if you have one then post it up here!

I finally figured out that I can subscribe to a thread that I want to view later. As an example there was a thread on making crisco candles for bear hunting that is not very helpful in Kansas or Iowa, but that I hope to use later. I subscribed to it and now have it saved for future reference.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have my settings to read the latest post first that way i dont have to start at the begining any way.. it puts the first post at the bottom..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i have my settings to read the latest post first that way i dont have to start at the begining any way.. it puts the first post at the bottom..
    I did this so long ago that I actually forgot about it! I also upped the posts per page to 40. The only drawback is that people occasionally reference "page 3" of the thread which would be on page 2 for me.

Another trick if you see a quote in a post you will see a little blue square/arrow deal next to the original posters name. Clicking that will take you to the original post. Most of the time this isn't needed but can be helpful on a long thread where the quote is from several pages back.

Thumbs up click with the wheel... OK...................... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    By using the right click ---->"open in new tab" feature I can open multiple interesting threads in new tabs while still viewing the whats new list. Doing this allows me to not waste time waiting for threads to load then having to reload the whats new page to find a new thread.

Another neat trick if you are using a wheel mouse is to hover over the blue circle and push down on the wheel (clickable wheel mouse required). This will auto-magically open the link in a new tab.
    I always do the right click - open new tab thing.

Never knew about the "click with the wheel" thing. Tried it just now and you're right, it does do the same thing only quicker. Nice. Thanks.

This isn't just a "this forum thing", this works for any site you surf on the Internet.

Again, thanks!

You are right FM, I also use it a great deal on craigslist.com and a few other link heavy sites.

A question concerning the What's New method.
    Sometimes it seems I am missing stuff that way, for example I have noticed that just after posting something myself, even starting a new thread somewhere. That shortly afterward while hitting "What's New" the new thread or post I JUST sent doesn't come up as a new post ?

Does that make sense? So last night I start something on "Mt. Goat Horns" in the Forum for, "Meat and Trophy Care", and later throughout the evening I have never seen it come up in the "What's New" area? I have to go to Forums" and scroll down to "Meat and Trophy Care" Forum to see if it has responses.

Even searching "What's New" further into history, no show ???

Are there some Forums that don't register on the What's New tab? Seems I've seen this for quite a while after posting stuff. so wonder what else I am missing just using What's New to cruise through?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    A question concerning the What's New method.
    Sometimes it seems I am missing stuff that way, for example I have noticed that just after posting something myself, even starting a new thread somewhere. That shortly afterward while hitting "What's New" the new thread or post I JUST sent doesn't come up as a new post ?

Does that make sense? So last night I start something on "Mt. Goat Horns" in the Forum for, "Meat and Trophy Care", and later throughout the evening I have never seen it come up in the "What's New" area? I have to go to Forums" and scrill down to "Meat and Trophy Care" Forum to see if it has responses.

Are there some Forums that don't register on the What's New tab? Seems I've seen this for quite a while after posting stuff. so wonder what else I am missing just using What's New to cruise through?
    i rarely see my own post in the new thread link.. i always figured it was cause i wrote it and it wasn't new to me. once in awhile they do show up especially after i hit the edit button.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I haven't had any problems with the what's new button. Your thread won't show up in there if there are no replies, but as soon as someone responds, it'll be there. A thread that you started isn't new to you, as Vince points out. It only becomes new once there is a new post. As soon as you read a thread, it will not show up in that search until there is a new post.

Thanks I get it,
    So is this how you guys are cruising through the Forums, Just keep going to What's New and scrolling down a few pages or is there a better or more ways to find interesting stuff?

Kind of a bummer to be gone for a few weeks then realizing there is no real way to find what happened as far as cool hunt threads, etc. without basically stumbling on to them some other way.

Going specifically to Hunting for example and scrolling down the past pages. But if there is a good one on a more obscure Forum like Handloading it gets buried pretty quickly if there are few replies so is easily missed?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default FORUM BROWSING.. made easy...

Start at the top of new post and munch your way down...

when full. digest,- repeat....

at some point you will have to stop to take a crap...

unfortunately this occurs on the forum all to often... such as right now...

meet on face book here

Default Endurance Required

I AM GOING, Right Now, to make up some more Espresso with lots of Sugar,

keeps the endurance up, not as much time wasted on the stool

Ya Gotta Plan more Vince

Default Settings

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thanks I get it,
    So is this how you guys are cruising through the Forums, Just keep going to What's New and scrolling down a few pages or is there a better or more ways to find interesting stuff?
    Have your settings set up so that you subscribe to any thread that you reply to. then also manually subscribe (under Thread tools I think) to discussions you find interesting.

Then when you get back from being gone, press the Settings button in the upper right hand corner, and only the threads of the most interest to YOU will be listed, no matter which forum they're in.