Thread: cold weather tent

Default cold weather tent

Is it a bad idea to camp between now and, say, 0 degrees? Obviously a little summer dome tent won't be any good, so what's the best option for someone who might want to go camp/hunt on on the Dalton Highway before things get too nasty?

just get a good sleeping bag and you're good to go whatever tent you have is better than no tent if it will at least stop the wind. can tolerate cold but when the wind starts howling its a different story. psh all these "arctic tents" and " tent stoves" those are just comfort items . But in all seriousness like I said a good sleeping bag it key. The best ones I have found are the military ones with the 3 layers they will keep you warm to -40 the key as little as you can in them because they are almost too warm and you will sweat and that is when you will have problems sweat + freezing temps= not fun. I wouldn't hesitate to camp in this weather.

I camped last weekend on a bou hunt... temps in the teens. Tent was just a Cabelas AK guide, nothing special- just a good quality tent with a good rainfly.

Bag was a good quality Mtn. Hardware 0 degree.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Is it a bad idea to camp between now and, say, 0 degrees? Obviously a little summer dome tent won't be any good, so what's the best option for someone who might want to go camp/hunt on on the Dalton Highway before things get too nasty?
    An arctic oven would be the nicest tent when the weather gets really cold. For what you are looking to do then pretty much any solid tent will work as long as you have a very good bag. I went with a Wiggys FTRSS from Wiggy's Alaska, they have great bags!

If ur intrested in some more information about the artic oven tent, cons and pros, here you can: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ents?highlight