Thread: PWS tanner crab season

Default PWS tanner crab season

Anyone know when it opens?

I think 10/15 but not 100% positive

Im hoping Oct. 1 but cant get into the F&G websith to find out. Thanks for the info.

Says Oct 1 for subsistence. I can't find anything else. Anyone know the details on this. I'd like to get out to deer hunt over the next month or so and it sure would be great to get some crab.

Did anybody do any good on the King crab season there last year. I was wondering if it would be worth carying my gear and droping it when I go and deer hunt later this fall down by Knight island

we struck out 2 years in a row just a couple of juvi's

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Did anybody do any good on the King crab season there last year. I was wondering if it would be worth carying my gear and droping it when I go and deer hunt later this fall down by Knight island
    I'd deploy your pots right off the Nelly Juan light in the blue clay, you'll find red kings from there up into Kings Bay, if you want Blue kings go up by Pakingham. My friend had some tangle gear and he wrapped a chum up and sent it to the bottom they let it soak like 2 hours and it came up a great big purple blob that weighed about 100lbs.. It had 14 jumbos clinging to it. I saw the pics, not sure how legal it was but I was impressed

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I'd deploy your pots right off the Nelly Juan light in the blue clay, you'll find red kings from there up into Kings Bay, if you want Blue kings go up by Pakingham. My friend had some tangle gear and he wrapped a chum up and sent it to the bottom they let it soak like 2 hours and it came up a great big purple blob that weighed about 100lbs.. It had 14 jumbos clinging to it. I saw the pics, not sure how legal it was but I was impressed

How deep of water do you drop in I was looking at the charts and it looks a lot deeper than I have gear for max for my crab gear is about 550'

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    How deep of water do you drop in I was looking at the charts and it looks a lot deeper than I have gear for max for my crab gear is about 550'
    I saw a boat deploying is pot right out in front of Falls Bay in 300ft. I don't have any experience myself except as a deck hand in the 80's fishing tanners in the tanker lanes, coiling by hand 2 and 3 shots of lines stacked 4 feet tall. (nightmare relived)

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I saw a boat deploying is pot right out in front of Falls Bay in 300ft. I don't have any experience myself except as a deck hand in the 80's fishing tanners in the tanker lanes, coiling by hand 2 and 3 shots of lines stacked 4 feet tall. (nightmare relived)
    Thats a lot of line and sounds no fun for personal use I will have to give that area a shot I plan to try again to go down there around thanksgiving for the weekend mabye I will drop them on the way out and grab them on the way back and hope for the best. If I do I will let you guys know how I did this seems like a newer fisherie and I cant find much on it so I will do my part and do a little recon if I get the chance. I need to find some salmon somewhere for bait I have good luck using that.

I would think that the eastern PWS would be good for Tanners. Unfortunately I left my crab pots in Homer and didn't bring them to Cordova this winter. I wasn't even aware Tanners were open in PWS until now.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

What bait is legal to use, can I catch cod or other fish and use it or does it need to be bought in a store?