Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Unethical duck hunting!

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1

    Angry Unethical duck hunting!

    Is it legal to run down flocks of ducks and shoot them out of a moving/powered boat?

    that's what I though!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Juneau, AK
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Report them, even if you don't have a boat number, license plates, etc. Having a record so the troopers can keep an eye open is better than nothing.

    Erich

  3. #3
    Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,472

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Is it legal to run down flocks of ducks and shoot them out of a moving/powered boat?

    that's what I though!
    Is it better to set the hook right away or wait for a good take down?

  4. #4
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    I managed to snag a merganser on the Russian this summer, so I'd say wait for a good takedown. Tight lines!

  5. #5
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    Report them, even if you don't have a boat number, license plates, etc. Having a record so the troopers can keep an eye open is better than nothing.

    Erich
    I should just shut my laptop and move way but I can't help it, its not in my nature . Why wouldn't you just address the offenders and educate them instead of bringing in the law? There is a probable possibility that the unscrupulous hunters may see the error in their ways and thank you for educating them and saving them from a violation. This would help law enforcement focus on more serious cases and you could feel good that you saved a duck, educated fellow hunters keeping them from hefty penalties and possibly kept a law enforcement officer focused on a major crime. Hunters are reasonable people in most instances law violations are from ignorance not malicious intent.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Juneau, AK
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I should just shut my laptop and move way but I can't help it, its not in my nature . Why wouldn't you just address the offenders and educate them instead of bringing in the law? There is a probable possibility that the unscrupulous hunters may see the error in their ways and thank you for educating them and saving them from a violation. This would help law enforcement focus on more serious cases and you could feel good that you saved a duck, educated fellow hunters keeping them from hefty penalties and possibly kept a law enforcement officer focused on a major crime. Hunters are reasonable people in most instances law violations are from ignorance not malicious intent.
    Maybe I improperly inferred from the original post that it wasn't possible to speak directly with the individuals allegedly running down flocks and shooting from a moving vessel but you'll see from my other posts about trouble on the Mendenhall State Game Refuge that I totally agree that a hunter should first contact those breaking the law before getting the law enforcement involved.

    What I get tired of is posts solely created to whine about people breaking the law and the witness did nothing to inform the party involved. If you see someone doing something expressly illegal and you are able to approach, I think it's another hunters responsibility. If you can't reach the party but you can record some sort of identifying information, vessel number, license plate, rig color, then you should go to the state police.

    Lastly, maybe I'm a barbarian, but I don't worry so much about "saving a duck" but instead protecting my continuing access to my favorite hunting areas. When people with little respect for the law are allowed to have free reign, public lands tend to become closed to the public.

    Erich

  7. #7
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    excellent post Erich

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Is it legal to run down flocks of ducks and shoot them out of a moving/powered boat?

    that's what I though!
    I think its sad someone would make up a new name just to post a stupid thread like this.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

  9. #9

    Default

    Thanks for the pm "leagleagle" or whoever you really are... telling me you didn't personaly witness this but that you "heard" from other people that it happens. Nice. That makes your thread all the more worthless. Anything else you would like to waste our time with?
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

  10. #10
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Wow I didn't know peeps were so desperate for thread material, keep up the good work flushing them out alaskaassasin

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •