Thread: Berry meat & fish ketchup sauce recipe

Default Berry meat & fish ketchup sauce recipe

I posted this recipe in the rose hip thread but thought it might as well deserve it's own so more folks can take a look. Please add your own favorite recipes for us too try out too

Grandma's Berry Meat & Fish Ketchup Sauce

This recipe for berry meat sauce works well with rose hips, bog, high or lowbush cranberries.

The sauce is so versatile, you can use it on just about everything...dipping, basting, marinades, salad dressings, over cooked vegetables/potatoes. The possibilities are endless.

Cook together until soft about 4 pounds berries and 2 cups water (perhaps a little more water if the rose hips are older and more dried out).
    Rub and strain through a sieve then add the following:

1 cup vinegar (more or less to taste, some similar recipes call for up to 2 cups vinegar)
    2 cups white sugar
    2 cups dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon each ground cloves, cimmanom, allspice, and salt
    1 teaspoon black or red pepper
    add some chopped onions and green or red bell peppers

Boil until desired thickness (I make it thinner as it will thicken more upon cooling)
    For long term storage, Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

It keeps quite a while in jars in the fridge without doing the whole boiling water bath sealing method.

For a more BBQ flavor simply play around with your spices...add instead- less vinegar, then add chili powder, cajun spice, a little prepared mustard or dry mustard powder and a little garlic.

Enjoy!
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I shared your recipe with my wife. She's excited to give it a try. The rose hips were looking pretty good on my lunch time walk. Thanks.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Here's another I got from a friend. Haven't tried it yet, I don't usually have a lot of pineapple or even an orange on hand for that matter It's easy to make, no cooking. Bet this would delicious served with goose or duck or that big old Thanksgiving turkey.

Cranberry~Rosehip Relish

In a blender or food grinder add:
    2 cup bog cranberries (probably lowbush would work too?)
    1 peeled orange
    1 cup pineapple
    1/2 cup walnuts
    1 cup cleaned rose hips (not sure if this means you leave the seeds in or not? The seeds are OK to eat, just a whole lot may not be a good idea)

Grind then add:
    1/2 cup honey
    2 tablespoons lemon juice

Stir, then let sit for a day or two in the fridge to let the flavors blend before serving.

If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley