Thread: Shooting a cripple on the Water After Shooting hours.

Default Shooting a cripple on the Water After Shooting hours.

Ok What about this one.

Getting late, but not too late! crippled a mallard, she is on the water diving, gets to land and is running. By the time we cross the water she is gone and the dog can't find her. (Quick answer get a new dog) Finally after an hour we find her, she is 25 yards from us in the middle of a pond. Can't fly. Been chasing her? Shoot or don't shoot. It is now after hours. If anyone is listening how do explain shooting an hour after it ended??? Eventually we got her but it would have been quicker if we shot her on the water.

thoughts????

Under the circumstances you give, I would finish her off after hours or not. If stopped, just tell the truth...we finally found a wounded bird shot during legal hours; rather than let it go to waste, I finished her.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Shoot it for sure. Same goes for that law about keeping a bird intact so it can be identified... if it's warm and the choice comes down to letting your ducks spoil, breast them out and put the meat on ice. Keep the carcasses in a trash bag or something.

If somebody hears a shot then that's all they heard, a shot. No telling who did it... If there is somebody watching then they will have seen you running around like a maniac after a mallard that was obviously injured.. I don't like any law enforcement officer would have given you a hard time. its an opinion though, I could be wrong.

There's Shootin' hours?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, this is all the stuff that went threw my head as I we ran around the marsh.

I guess if someone was watching they would have had a good laugh watching this schmuck run around in the dark.

My wife will tell a story of me and my lab chasing a Red Head she crippled around a Texas mash. I knew the duck was swimming but was surprised at how fast. The lab and I ended up getting the bird in sort of a pickle situation until he grabbed it. That story brings tears to her eyes every time she tells it (when is every opportunity she gets). Yes shoot the cripples on the water or you wife will get great mileage out of a similar story.

Just my nickel,
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    There's Shootin' hours?

Hahahahhahhahha I laughed hard at that...assuming it was a joke. And as for the question...shoot 100%

It would be interesting to get an LEO's opinion on this. I think most of us agree it is better to shoot the bird rather than risk it getting away and being wasted (regardless of the letter of the law). I would bet law enforcement would cut you a break if they felt you were telling the truth. It's tough, though. I doubt any LEO would tell you in a hypothetical sense that this is okay. If they did, it could embolden you to feel free to blast away after hours. If nobody sees you, you could always say you were shooting wounded birds. "All that shooting 20 minutes after sunset? Yeah, we finally found that flock of wounded mallards we had been chasing around on the ground all afternoon..."

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

The fact this was even a question confuses me. Seems common sense should have ended any debate, but again I'm proven wrong.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

BANG...dead bird

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    There's Shootin' hours?
    Yeah Marvin. And there is a season and stamps too!

there is nothing hypothetical about this being ok. Once you fire and hit/wound any game animal, it is your responsibility to make EVERY effort to harvest that animal.

Notice that in big game regs you can use artificial light to track down a wounded animal, though certainly not in your initial hunt. I adhere to the same standard for a wounded bird. Any and all means are necessary to harvest a wounded animal.

I'm with AK assassin as there is no question about this issue to me.

Ditto the majority here. Once you've wounded game, you are no longer "hunting". It is now a tagged animal and you are simply recovering it. If that requires a follow up killing shot on approach to the down game, so be it. Even if Fish-n-Feathers was standing right there watching, I wouldn't hesitate to take a killing shot on legally downed game.

Not that this has happened that I'm aware of, but let's say that you took a shot at a moose or simlilar big game critter at the end of the last day of the season. For whatever reason, you get a crappy gutshot and spend all night tracking the animal. Early the next morning, with the season now officially closed, you locate the animal which is still alive but obviously critically wounded. Every hunter out here is going to take the killing shot without hesitation to put the animal out of its misery and finish what you legally started. It's no different for a game bird.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!