Thread: Talkeetna area residence

Default Talkeetna area residence

Any Talkeetna area residence that would be willing to share there thoughts on living in that area.

Pretty good place--lots of crowds in the summer though. Good snow machining in the winter

What would you like to know? We live remote near Talkeetna.

Thanks for the response. Kelvin would it be ok to send you a personal message in regards to living around Talkeetna.

Sure

(Sorry the software said a message of "Sure" was too short, so now it's longer)

I've lived here 30 years as of this spring. I find it a great place to raise my kids, enjoy outdoor activities, and run my business. Summers can be hectic with all the tourists, but we have to make a buck somehow. I love the fall and spring before the tourists arive and after they leave. The climate is pretty mild for Alaska. Not too much severe cold and not too much snow compared to some areas in the state.

It's a complicated community when it comes to politics but many of us bridge those complications. I know that if my family needs help there will be dozens of folks at my door offering a hand, and I do the same in return. We are not without conflicts, but it's a pretty dang peaceful place to live.

There are an amazing amount of talented people living here. Great artists, musicians, and a thriving performing arts scene in the winter. Good, brand new building, high school and junior high. My family had issues with the elementary school, but some folks love it. Thriving home school community due to that.

We have the only current official outdoor rifle range in the Valley at this moment. It's very underused because of lack of volunteers, but it could be a great facility. Groomed ski trails right outside of town, groomed snowmachine trails across the river in Trapper Creek. 14 mile paved bike path along the Talkeetna Spur Road. Access to three major river systems and a mountain range right outside our doors.

A decent new grocery store, bars, restaurants, auto parts store, hardware and lumber store, a library, a post office, a good clinic, a doctor, and a Subway...

What's not to like?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

[QUOTE=AKDoug;822903] I love the fall and spring before the tourists arive and after they leave. The climate is pretty mild for Alaska. Not too much severe cold and not too much snow compared to some areas in the state.

It's a complicated community when it comes to politics but many of us bridge those complications. I know that if my family needs help there will be dozens of folks at my door offering a hand, and I do the same in return. We are not without conflicts, but it's a pretty dang peaceful place to live.

There are an amazing amount of talented people living here. Great artists, musicians, and a thriving performing arts scene in the winter. A decent new grocery store, bars, restaurants, auto parts store, hardware and lumber store, a library, a post office, a good clinic, a doctor, and a Subway...

What's not to like?[/QUOTE]

I highlighted some of Doug's quotes that I really liked about that area,
    Lived there on and off, (as in CommFishing on the coast part of the year and out in the woods upriver from Talkeetna the rest) from '81-'88 or so, and I really loved that country, especially the people, seemed to be as "Stick together in the end despite vast differences in ideologies,etc." as much as anywhere I have seen.
    Also think that climate is the Ideal after living a lot on the coast and as far north as Fbks, Talkeetna gets real winters, snow comes heavy and deep and stays light and crisp. If you are an outdoors type that is hard to beat.
    Also loved the Spring, Fall , and Deep Winter maybe the best for the lack of tourists, etc. I hear it's gotten quite a bit thicker on that end but most people don't live right in the town there so you can go home and be out in the woods, deal with the town mania at your own pace.
    But a Subway, and New Grocery store, Doug?? That's livin' the High Life now

Great Area, Greater People, might take a while to be considered Local, but "whatever" on that I think.
    If you move there, do your time, be as helpful as you can imagine being, if you're Real, you'll fit in quick
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

A Subway and an auto parts store. Wow! Are those new since April 2009? I don't remember them or a new grocery.

I might be the least qualified on the MB to offer thoughts about Talkeetna, but, speaking as a visitor during the "off" season, I was made to feel more at home than I ever have in my life.

Auto parts have been here for over 20 years, just in various locations. He's off the main highway, but he's here. As for the grocery store, I guess you missed Cubby's out at the junction with the Parks I haven't had to go to Wasilla for groceries in a year now.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem