Thread: Faribanks area and trap selection

Default Faribanks area and trap selection

I'm new to the area and was thinking of running a trap line next winter once I get back from Iraq. The question that I have is I was going to order some traps to run a little 50 miles or so trap line on snowmachine. I need advice on how many traps I should get. I have done a lot of trapping for beaver and muskrat in Minneosta where I'm orginally from but, not a lot of the other critters. Ok now to my trap selection. Any info on the sizes would be great. If you think that the trap is to small or to big let me know

18 or so 120 conibears Martin, muskrat
    Maybe some 1 1/2 long spring also

6 or so 330 conibears Beaver, maybe lynx dp you think 330 are to big for lynx? I have read a lot that they use 220 or lynx.

12 or so #2 double coil spring fox, coyote ect

8 or so #3 double coil springs for lnyx, beaver.

I'm new and any info would be great. I'm not looking for someones old trap line I would rather find my own. Also has anyone used a 5 gallon bucket for a cubby set? Do you think that bucket would be to small to intise a lynx. What size would a preson use to wolf. I was thinking of a #5 double coil spring or so. I have about $500 or so for traps. I would also be very interested in getting any used traps that people would like to sell. I don't plan on selling my furs they would be to make mittens and hats out of ect. Are there are tanneries in Fairbanks or in the area? This is going to be a starter line for winter injoyment and to get me out of the house. Are there any local sent makers in the Fairbanks area? Thanks again

Brain

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I'm new to the area and was thinking of running a trap line next winter once I get back from Iraq. The question that I have is I was going to order some traps to run a little 50 miles or so trap line on snowmachine. I need advice on how many traps I should get. I have done a lot of trapping for beaver and muskrat in Minneosta where I'm orginally from but, not a lot of the other critters. Ok now to my trap selection. Any info on the sizes would be great. If you think that the trap is to small or to big let me know

18 or so 120 conibears Martin, muskrat
    Maybe some 1 1/2 long spring also

6 or so 330 conibears Beaver, maybe lynx dp you think 330 are to big for lynx? I have read a lot that they use 220 or lynx.

12 or so #2 double coil spring fox, coyote ect

8 or so #3 double coil springs for lnyx, beaver.

I'm new and any info would be great. I'm not looking for someones old trap line I would rather find my own. Also has anyone used a 5 gallon bucket for a cubby set? Do you think that bucket would be to small to intise a lynx. What size would a preson use to wolf. I was thinking of a #5 double coil spring or so. I have about $500 or so for traps. I would also be very interested in getting any used traps that people would like to sell. I don't plan on selling my furs they would be to make mittens and hats out of ect. Are there are tanneries in Fairbanks or in the area? This is going to be a starter line for winter injoyment and to get me out of the house. Are there any local sent makers in the Fairbanks area? Thanks again

Brain
    I am by no means an expert but i can offer some advice as a military trapper. If you plan on trapping public land around fairbanks good luck. Lots of people here trap and its kinda full. If you want to trap wainwright or eielson then you have to register with them. Ken at 907-353-6490 but . He can show you the map of what is available. As for trap selection. I use 1 1/2 coils for martin ( I already had them from trapping in Wv )They work well. #3 coils and snares or lynx, But ive been wanting to try the barrel set with a 330 gaurding it. For fox and coyotes i use snares only. I hate trying to keep footholds working. They freeze up and i have tried everything to stop it but no luck.Plus you can carry a bunch of snares in a pocket instead of lugging all those traps. And they are cheap! There is one tannery in fairbanks that i know about but ive never heard anything good about them. I dont know about local sent maker but i use big sky lures and Northwest predator supply. They have worked well so far. Im sure there are locals that have been around alot longer than me who know some better Info but this should get you started. Good luck and be safe over there. Hillbilly

Default Correct

Hillbilly is correct that you might have to search far and wide to find a place to trap. A good trapper may leave an area alone for 1-2 years to let it replenish itself. So it may look like no one is trapping the area but in fact there is. Many areas are also inherited or passed on to others. Some trap lines may be marked and others will not be.

Some of the guys on the forum may know who to contact and find out who is trapping where up there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012