Thread: Running a Refrigerator

Question Running a Refrigerator

My buddy lives in has cabin for the summer and is tired of hauling ice in to keep his food and beverages cool. How many golf cart batteries would it take to invert them to 110 and keep a regular sized refrigerator running? Also, how many or what size solar panels would he need to keep those batteries charged? I figured there'd have to be someone here that would know. Is this even a viable option?

Thanks

how about a propane fridge?
    we have one and it works great.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Propane is definitely an option, but he was trying to make it as easy as possible. As in, not having to haul anything back and forth. Where if you donít mind did you buy it and at what price? How long does a 100lb bottle last?

If you are just looking for cooling a root cellar is the way to go in AK, free cooling. Freezer gotta go a propane route, last a long time since most of the winter just turn it off and put it outdoors.

A propane fridge is about as easy as it gets. We've had ours for several years without a bit of problem. We run it, the stove, a propane toilet and a small direct vent heater in our weekend use cabin and a 100 lb bottle will last most of a year. The fridge only uses a pilot light.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.AK View Post
    If you are just looking for cooling a root cellar is the way to go in AK, free cooling. Freezer gotta go a propane route, last a long time since most of the winter just turn it off and put it outdoors.
    Freezer is also part of it. Now that he's aging, the creature comforts are looking appetizing.

propane fridge/freeer is the most economical & easiest way to go for living in the bush & off the grid, for what you would pay for batteries & then the fuel use from your generator just to charge them, it's a nobrainer go with the propane, if you cant handle the weight of a 100lb cylinder then get a few 40lb tanks, & when the temp starts to drop just move it outside to the covered porch( dont wanna have to shovel snow just to open the fridge door)

We have had a Norcold 3/4 size rv refrigerator w/freezer compartment for 17 years that is propane powered (also has 110vac, but never use it) and we average 3 months to a 100# cyl. with year round use.

We also have a 3 shelf dumwaiter cooler in our cabin that cranks down 6ft into the ground. This provides 42-47 degree temps in the summer. In the winter we crank it up and use it as a super cooler as the bottom shelf freezes, the middle shelf chills, and the top shelf stays reaaly cold.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

back to the original question... i looked long and hard at solar power while living off the grid and all of my research showed the fridge was the #1 power consumer of battery power. every place i looked at had the fridge and freezer wrapped in a minimum of 2 inches of blue foam board to help keep it cold. solar and battery power for a fridge is an EXPENSIVE proposition.. i agree propane is much cheaper in the long run
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks a lot gentlemen for all the replies. I'll pass on the information. Where does one purchase a propane fridge?

I bought one in 2009 from Suburban Propane for $1,100 (includes their delivery and installation).

Quote Originally Posted by northbird1 View Post
    I bought one in 2009 from Suburban Propane for $1,100 (includes their delivery and installation).
    Suburban wants over $1300 for one, today.

Just post a wanted ad on craigs list or ak.list and and sit back sure someone will reply. Should be in the $500.00 to $8oo.oo range for a good one or might score for less. Good luck

I bought mine used for $450. It pays to look around. Craigs list, Alaskas list.
    "All bureaucracies are the same. They drain the life out of the truly creative people and develop mindless paperpushers as their critical mass."

"You are a den of Vipers.I intend to rout you out and by the Eternal God I will rout you out.If the people only understood the rank injustice of our money and banking system there would be a revolution before morning"--Andrew Jackson 1828

Alaska Battery in Fairbanks sells them, not sure about the one in Anchorage. They sell a lot of solar and battery powered equipment also.